New manual ECU in VX V6, speedo and tacho not working

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
davidpartay
cars: VX V6 Series 2 Executive Wagon (converted to manual)

New manual ECU in VX V6, speedo and tacho not working

Post by davidpartay »

Hey all,

I recently converted my VX wagon to a manual and had to replace the ECU with a manual one as reprogramming the original caused a few problems.

The auto electrician linked the new ECU and BCM and everything works fine, apart from my tacho not working at all, and the speedo sort of kind of behaving like a tacho instead. The buttons for the trip meter also no longer beep when pressed but I'm pretty sure they're all working correctly.

The electrician said that they couldn't link it with the dash, but this sounds a little strange to me as I thought the dash should just be getting direct signals from the BCM and ECU?

I'm taking it to a different auto electrician on Thursday who is a bit cheaper and used to work at Holden, but he himself isn't really sure what's going on but he's going to check the link. Holden have quoted me $120 to fix it but I don't want to pay through the nose for what I'm pretty sure should be less than half an hour of work!

Can you guys give me any advice? Sorry if I've left anything out - feel free to ask questions.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Re: New manual ECU in VX V6, speedo and tacho not working

Post by antus »

It sounds to me like a software issue in your dash, the manual ecu must be speaking differently than the auto one was. Its not different wires, its all data on the one wire, so rather than fixing it with wiring you might need to find someone with the software knowhow and tools to get everything in sync, or if that cant be done maybe you need a manual dash. This is purely speculation, someone here might know for sure.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
davidpartay
cars: VX V6 Series 2 Executive Wagon (converted to manual)

Re: New manual ECU in VX V6, speedo and tacho not working

Post by davidpartay »

Oh ok, thanks for the info. Much appreciated :)