Its "TIME" to get it right

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
Holden202T

Its "TIME" to get it right

Post by Holden202T »

well this subject is about timing .....

as you know the ecotec V6 uses a lovely MAF sensor which is just annoying for us old school map sensor fans ... and so since putting the ecotec in the torana with a 808 map based tune i've sorta been dealing with it using VR spark table and just doing the best i can with it, and without getting it on a dyno your only really guessing at cruise spark numbers etc....

add to that, from what i have seen from info floating around on the internet the kalmaker ecotec map tunes are sorta not really that different to the MAF spark tables which i think makes them not optimal and really no better than the setup im using above.

SOOO i decided there has to be a way to get true map base spark tables made from the VS ... a few ideas were thrown around and eventually i worked out i need to get a map sensor on there and get its info pumped out of the vs aldl stream and then i should be able to use scannerpro histograms to plot me a nice spark table .... only problem with this was getting the input setup and the aldl stream stuff etc....

then me old mate delcowizzid had the suggestion, why not flog a sensors input that the car can work without ...... and it turns out B12 is used as a voltage monitor input for the injectors..... it has a seperate wire going into the PCM and in theory all things being right the signal from it should read about the same as the battery voltage.

too easy, so i have fabricated a map sensor loom which will connect into the B12 pin and then piggy back another sensor for +5v and GND connections, then i've adjusted the VS adx to have 0-5.5v reading for the injector voltage data which i will apply a calculation to, to get the 0-100kpa readings needed!

so hopefully in a few days time i will have a proper conversion vs v6 maf -> map spark table. and this will almost be the icing on the cake for the ecotec map conversion $12P bin file!

i'll be sure to post some logs and a spark table that i come up with once i get something for yas!
delcowizzid

Re: Its "TIME" to get it right

Post by delcowizzid »

does it work does it work does it work :mrgreen:
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

Other than a code 57 (injector monitor line fault) it should work well :thumbup:

The injector line is a 0-25.5v A/D instead of the normal 0-5v so to convert it to MAP kPa use the formula...

(N x 1.845) + 10.354

Where N = the raw A/D count in the ALDL stream
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

well my brothers multi meter was flat so i couldn't work out which wires were +5v and gnd on my piggy back sensor but also my tune didn't have vats disabled so it was never going to work with the serial board .... to add to all that one of the wires snapped off the PCM going to the serial board so thats when i gave up and went down to the bottlo :thumbup:

going to fix the PCM this arvo and get a bin sorted out and hopefully go back tomorrow after work with more luck this time!!

VL400, thanks for the calcatron!
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

first attempt little test log!!
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

looking good :mrgreen:
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

thought i'd post up the first log we did this arvo aswell as the adx if anyone is interested in seeing the figures so far.
Attachments
map sensor logging 16-11-09.zip
(110.69 KiB) Downloaded 342 times
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

Very nicely done!! With a few days worth of logging and then averaging out the results should be able correlate the data with the factory high/low octane tables and get a true RPM vs MAP spark table for the VS. They certainly don't need much spark advance though!
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

well has been slow going getting logs from my brother but i have 4 now and heres the latest map

also i've attached the logs and adx if anyone wants to look at them.
Attachments
vs map sensor logging.zip
(810.45 KiB) Downloaded 324 times
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

well i'm hoping im on the right track cause im pretty sure im getting closer to giving this spark a try. I'm going to wait till im out of fuel (98 octane) and then put this spark map in and get some 91 fuel .... i know its going to be shit at WOT but i'm keen to see how it cruises .... in alot of spots theres less timing than i am running so hopefully the change will be for the better.

keep in mind this map has been smoothed by myself and cross referenced with my current map to get it as smooth and accurate as possible. :study:

we'll see how she ends up later in the week i guess!