VZ engine swaps

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
utevanwgn
cars: hq ute
hz wgn

VZ engine swaps

Post by utevanwgn »

Hi Ive done a bit of a searching and have failed.
When swaping a new (secondhand engine ) into a vz does the bcm have to be linked with the ecu.
And if so is there a pc based tool I can get to do this or do I have to get a tech 2 or similar.
And or what is available.
Cheers Nathan
VX L67 Getrag

Re: VZ engine swaps

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

Yeah if using a different ECM it needs to be linked to bcm & need the security code for this!

But why can't you use the ECM from last engine unless it's a different engine/driveline type?
utevanwgn
hz wgn

Post by utevanwgn »

Hi , Thanks for the conformation,
The donor car is a 2007 equip wagon and the recipient is a 2005 equip sedan.
The sedan failed quite dramatically and when I got it home it was showing low fuel level and when I tried to turn it over there was no response.
If all else fails Ill use the wagon ecm and bcm.
But ill try the sedan stuff first.
Still I would love to find a way to link up all this stuff at home.
Cheers Nathan
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Hhmmmm.... thats interesting, we had an SV6 towed in a couple of years ago that had the 'low fuel=dead ECU' and a hole in the side of the motor, never did work out what happened first :think:
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
VX L67 Getrag

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

yeah that is an interesting chain of event's, would be interesting to figure out!

with regards to having a tool for home use of linking I have given the relevant information on how it all works so hopefully 1 day we will see a simple tool/software out there!
vs ss
cars: hsv enhanced vs ss
vt xu6
fb holden
toyota landcruiser
vt ss s1

Post by vs ss »

Would be nice to have a linking program ,but I think it's not allowed on the forum due to security reasons. :(
VX L67 Getrag

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

IMHO the security isn't being able to link the devices, it's knowing the security code which nobody is releasing a hack for that, although it would be VERY handy not having to call GM to get it!
utevanwgn
hz wgn

Post by utevanwgn »

Hi all.
Its all secret squril stuff as far as im concerned.
I bought the sedan with a timing chain / engine noise , couldant get a straight story out of the seller.
Had a 50k drive home but only made 25 before it really started making noises gave a cough and stopped.
Towed it the rest of the way . It turned over a couple of times in the driveway at home then nothing and displayed the low fuel warning.
The part that made me laugh was when it went guts up the dash flashed (service engine soon)
The thing that really irks me off is that ive got a good motor and trans but the man has made it difficult to fix without going to the stealers. This would not be a problem if A they didn't charge both gonads and B they could actually do it. In my case Im 500k from perth and 50k from the nearest dealer and he wants your soul .
I think its criminal that the systems are designed in such a way as to prevent a private person from fixing their own car.
Thanks again for all the input And im about ready to have a go at one of the tech 2 knockoffs because as a pensioner I can see ill be driving around in things ive fixed from the tip for a long time yet.
cheers Nathan
VX L67 Getrag

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

It actually takes a bit to get valves to hit pistons from my experience!

So you could get away with it for around $1,000 if you do the timing chain kit yourself & then flush engine oil a few times with the original engine!
utevanwgn
hz wgn

Post by utevanwgn »

If it were so easy.
The engine is properly seized.
I understand what you say about the repairs etc , ive been building cars for years.
What concerns me is the difficulty in correcting system faults when installing a new engine.
It might work out alright but if the engine failure has caused a problem with the ecu that has to be rectified by the dealers , I will not be happy.
Not because it has happened but because it seems to have been designed that way.
Anyhoo Ill be putting the motor and trans in over the wend so ill keep youalll posted.
Cheers Nath