VY Body Codes

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

VY Body Codes

Post by Charlescrown »

I scanned a VY V6 today and the body control module had a huge list of faults like key not contacting ring, start without key contact, faulty memcal, security code fault.The list went on and on (not thinking to write them all down). The owner said it has never had a problem starting but by what I could see it should never have started. I do know about the key reader ring problem but this looks a lot worse than that. Could it be a faulty BCM? I will be looking at it again in a week or so and will post more info like code numbers etc.
Gareth

Re: VY Body Codes

Post by Gareth »

At one point in time I kept VY BCM's of all levels in stock, they used to fall over often...
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

I'd be capturing the code numbers ,then clear them all and see if they come back .... ?
yoda69
cars: 2004 VYII Acclaim Wagon V6 Auto LPG/Petrol
2004 VYII Berlina sedan V6 Auto
2005 VZ Monaro CV8 manual

Post by yoda69 »

If people have been logging with TunerPro or the like that tells the BCM to shut up when logging the BCM gets upset.
Mine had heaps of messages to do with no signals from other modules when I hooked up Tech2 to it after logging with TunerPro for a couple of years. I know some aftermarket scantools also use this approach, key identifier is if the engine cooling fans and the engine checklight come up when logging.
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Post by Tazzi »

Oh oh oh! I can help here!

This is the 'current' faults I have in the VY BCM I have here:
VY_BCM_CurrentFaults.PNG
VY_BCM_CurrentFaults.PNG (10.97 KiB) Viewed 9916 times
History faults show exactly the same faults. :thumbup:
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
Charlescrown
Starion TBI with Delco
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

Thanks Tazzi but why did it throw in memcal failure? All the other areas like engine and transmission are fine. And 202 I have done that in the past but they all come back. Cant understand why its never had a starting problem but I will check it again next week and put up all the info.
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

Charlescrown wrote:Thanks Tazzi but why did it throw in memcal failure? All the other areas like engine and transmission are fine. And 202 I have done that in the past but they all come back. Cant understand why its never had a starting problem but I will check it again next week and put up all the info.
Memcal?.. ah.. I dont think I ever found that fault code.

EEprom?.

..let me check my docos..

*Edit

yep, I only found two memory related faults which were DTC19 EEprom Error and DTC20 RAM Error
Either one of those will mean a rooted BCM really.
Charlescrown
Starion TBI with Delco
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

Ok I scanned the car again today and only got 2 fault codes they were 02 slip ring failure and 25 engine start without slip ring communication. From what I found on the net the code 25 is set if the BCM cannot see the engine RPM. Not really sure whats happening. These codes have to have logged at least 20 times before a fault code is logged so it looks to me like the slip ring not making contact or a faulty key. I have found dry solder joints in the keys before so maybe that's it. Curious why it has never had a starting problem.
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

Charlescrown wrote:Ok I scanned the car again today and only got 2 fault codes they were 02 slip ring failure and 25 engine start without slip ring communication. From what I found on the net the code 25 is set if the BCM cannot see the engine RPM. Not really sure whats happening. These codes have to have logged at least 20 times before a fault code is logged so it looks to me like the slip ring not making contact or a faulty key. I have found dry solder joints in the keys before so maybe that's it. Curious why it has never had a starting problem.
If you got a volt meter, try see if the key is outputting anything. Put one end on the little metal knob and the other on the actual key.

Next, you can pull the ignition slip ring out, theres a single wire that connects up to the slip ring, check that hasnt been pulled off :thumbup:
yoda69
cars: 2004 VYII Acclaim Wagon V6 Auto LPG/Petrol
2004 VYII Berlina sedan V6 Auto
2005 VZ Monaro CV8 manual

Post by yoda69 »

If the screws holding the blade to the head are loose or corroded I've seen problems also, but this normally gives an intermittent no start that progressively gets worse.