304 tuning/build thread

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
HQ355
cars: HQ Holden

Re: 304 tuning/build thread

Post by HQ355 »

Go the roller cam, awsome tourque
wagond
cars: vn 5.0 5spd wagon
56 Bedford bus,hot as hell 202 powered!
pajero sh**ter!

Post by wagond »

immortality wrote:Where did you score that?

I'm still of 2 minds for my Senator, stick with the banana's or put something like that on it. I have a spare bonnet to cut a hole in if required :D

I'm thinking of going hydro-roller cam though.

Got it for a good price off trade me haha!its a bit tricky to fit because of the spacer plates between the manifold and heads but works well and didn't need much to match the ports up
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

I think the TP ones would work well but they are exxy..
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Post by Dylan »

Looked over the log gee it will be a goer once it's tuned right. The inner springs have certainly woken it up.
As for what to look for when tuning, there's a million ways but here some of my tips.

When first starting a tune as you are here. Concentrate on making changes to VE once warm say coolant temp over 50 deg.
Look for steady throttle readings after a second or 2 so that any acceleration enrichment has timed out.
In the screen shots take not of what I'm monitoring. Target AFR and wideband AFR, I look for a variation between the 2 at a steady state of TPS then adjust the VE from there. Later on you can play with the AE once you ae sure the VE is pretty right as it can mask a bad VE and vice versa.

Once the VE is pretty right start taking note of how temperature can affect the wideband readings, BUT always have this in the back of your mind even from the start especially with an aftermarket intake. The charge temp and coolant contribution table are from the VN Group A tune although I modified the charge temp a but from that to suit my set up.

I've never used VE learn but many do with good results. I just adjust the VE by what I see in the monitor screen then smooth it out and log again. Especially on heavily worked engines like this VE learn may miss lots of bit's I think. Which is mostly what I've worked on. Read the tuning guides done by Holden202T read them over and over it will all start making sense as you go.

To screen shot shows the TPS reading pretty ertatic which will trigger heaps of AE which is no good for making V changes from.

Second one shows a steady TPS which after a second or two of that is great to get a readig for how close the VE is at that RPM and MAP point.

And bottom one shows in the bottom window the target and actual wideband traces to watch for inaccuracies.
Attachments
TPS_very_eratic.png
fairly_steady_TPS.png
wideband_readings_in_bottom_window.png
Last edited by Dylan on Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Post by Dylan »

And this another bin I done up. Quite a few VE changes and there will be many more yet too. Good progress though. It may benefit from less timing too. With flat top's and zero deck I would of thought static compression would be over 10.5 and with that cam dynamic wont be too bad. Better than mine was anyway and it was probably to much timing for mine.
Attachments
wagond2.bin
(32 KiB) Downloaded 247 times
wagond
pajero sh**ter!

Post by wagond »

wagond2.log
(1.12 KiB) Downloaded 233 times
finally got some money together and brought an innovate lc2 wideband so had a bit of a play in the weekend,no big changes just figuring out what happens when I change things!the engines done about 6000 kms so theres a few good revs in this one,partly to see whats happening in the top end,starts to die,ive gotta get some time to make a surge tank,fairly sure its running out but at the drags did rev after playing with fuel pressure,at cost of bottom end power by the feels of it(and lost 20 kmh off my 60 foot)did a best of 14.045 with the only prep being taking the baby seat out.just a bit of problem solving to do there.
wagond
pajero sh**ter!

Post by wagond »

quick bit of diagnoses from people that might know!went racing the other weekend,dropped exhaust before the diff,so no mufflers,just genies into 3inch open pipe.finally got some slicks and run a 13.072,traction off the line was a lil bit hairy cos of the green as grass track.now that ive probably lost your attention ill get to the problem im having!just off idle its started to splutter,a bit like a carburettor that has a stuffed accelerator pump,put foot down to take off normally it feels like its gunna die,then takes off pretty much as normal.This has just started after the racing,i had the injectors cleaned and serviced and put on a new turbosmart fpr 800 fuel reg the week before.ran fine prior to the racing.ive noticed if I go into the displacement/injector flow rate scalar I can make it smooth off idle,or I can make it rev well in the top end,but not both,for example,ive been running it at 1197 grams/sec for the last 18 months,calculated kinjflow etc.it splutters off idle but will rev to 6k or so.however if I change it to 1200 or even 1500,just experimenting,it is very smooth off idle and wont rev above 3000 rpm or so.conversely,lowering the grams/sec to 1114 itl rev to 7k without spluttering out,but wont idle well or at all.how do I sort this out or what might be the cause?i havnt wanted to rev it too hard for fear of a major lean out but you get the idea!had to see what was going on....I stopped trying too hard after popping my second wideband sensor due to losing power from the ciggy lighter.its now replaced and my lc2 is hard wired with a switch and a postit note on the steering wheel reminding me to turn it on/off!hope people can decipher my ranting and even come up with some ideas! cheers!
wagond
pajero sh**ter!

Post by wagond »

ill do my best to chuck a log up tomorrow...bn a busy few weeks
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

Put the kinjflow where it should be as calculated and then see what the WB sensor says.

Probably need to sort out the VE table and possibly play with the AE to get rid of the lean spot with applying throttle (just like accel pump on a carburator).

Also, did you check/set the new FPR to the same base fuel pressure and have it manifold referenced?
wagond
pajero sh**ter!

Post by wagond »

Yup the fuel reg is set up and working well,much more consistent than the old one!the thing is it was quite ok one minute then started with this annoying wee splutter!i hadn't been mucking around with Ve tables or anything other than the displacement/flow table.wich is back to the old setting and still spluttering.ill have to go through and recheck everything I spose.or reload the original bin file to make sure it's the same as before.i know it's a bit of a shot in the dark without a log and wideband reading!its up and running again though so that'll be tomorrow's job