VE commodore calibration update

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
Gareth

Re: VE commodore calibration update

Post by Gareth »

Well done, the first time is a bit nerve racking, from now on its easy and will add value to the service you provide your customers :thumbup:
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Each engine segment has a part number too. Probably its a calibration fix not an operating system fix and the tool isnt showing you all the relevant part numbers.

If you can grab a bin from the hdd while running the update, upload it here and i can pull all the calibration ids out of it for you.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
pa63
cars: WM Series II Caprice 2011 SIDI V6 210kw - LFX

Post by pa63 »

pman92 wrote:Ok guys I think it's all good. Spent an hour on the phone with our scan tool supplier running through installing drivers and getting the pass through going.
He also helped me run through SPS but it was all pretty straight forward anyway.

One thing I've noticed though is when I go into the PCM on the scan tool and into system information it still lists the part # as the same one it previously was.
The part number was and still scans as 12635019
When searching the vin on tis2web it lists the "Standard Calibration/Service fix for P0420/P0430" as 12635020.

However now when I go into the engine control module on SPS and select the "Standard Cal/Service fix for P0420/P0430", after it connects it brings up a box saying "the selected calibration is the same as the one in the vehicle".
I guess this confirms the calibration has been updated even though the part number hasn't?

Time will tell to see if it's fixed I guess

Hi Pman92
I've got the same issue on bank 2 (left?) for my 2011 Caprice WM Series II SIDI LFX 210kw V6. I've had it since I bought the car 4 years ago and dealer quoted $1850 for new Cat but if you clear the code you can go for weeks before it comes back (always bank 2) and only with a very light foot on accelerator , usually backing off accelerator) - I assuming software rather than hardware fault and I'd rather try software update before potentially snapping exhaust flange studs etc. trying to get the old Cat off.

Happy to come to you if you can do the work.

Thanks
PA63
pman92
cars: HZ One Tonner
VE Ute

Post by pman92 »

The software update fixed this vehicle for a bit over 12 months, then it started happening again intermittently. The software update might fix your problem for a while but the underlying cause is almost certainly a faulty cat like it was for us. Usually software updates like this are for the manufacturer to stretch the lifetime past the warrenty period so they don't have to replace the part.

We fitted a new genuine cat and it's been perfect ever since. Don't fit an aftermarket replacement, I almost guarentee it wont fix it and may even make the problem worse. Ive got 2 or 3 examples of that - people that don't want to spend the money, and the boss couldn't get it through his head that these new aftermarket cats are no good so still gives the customer the option. The boss finally started believing me when the exhaust shop randomly rang up and said "you purchased some cats from us a while back, we are going to send you out some free downstream o2 sensor adaptors to fix the P0420/P0430 problem your probably having".

I've got graphs of the o2 sensors showing the faulty VE cat and the new fixed cat and explinations of them if your interested in seeing them.
VR-VY Holden BCM Simulator: View Post
MrModule.com.au