New to ECU Modifacations

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
benk
cars: VN V6 Commodore

New to ECU Modifacations

Post by benk »

Hi all

I need some help on reprograming an eprom.
I have an off road racing buggy that I have transplanted with a Series 1 VN V6. What I want to do is eventualy twin turbo it. I already have the mechanical side sorted and am looking into the electronic side
I am completely new to this "electronic tunning" (have built and tuned plenty of carby engines) I have been fixing these type of cars since the early 90's and have a fair knowlege of everything under the bonnet and how they work. I have spent the last few days reading various forums how to tune the ECU an have decided to give it a go myself. I will be doing it in stages starting with fitting a 2 bar MAP sensor to the standard engine and get it running with that
I have downloaded Tunerpro and a few standard bin files for the VN to have a look at. I supose to start with, should I stick with the standard program from the VN (I think that it is $5D) and start modifying it or is the a better version to modify? I don't realy want change any wiring at this stage.

Thanks Ben
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Re: New to ECU Modifacations

Post by antus »

Yeah, you'll need a bin that supports boost. There is a dodgy $5D (i think?) around that has 2 bar support hacked in to the original bin, but the table really needs to be extended to support boost. VL400 has done this, and you'll find a bin called OSE12P with many extra features and proper support boost in this thread here: https://pcmhacking.net/forums/view ... f=27&t=356

You'll find a copy with a standard V6 tune and configured for 1 bar there, so you should be able to plug it in to get going. To do the tuning though and to get high speed logging you'll need to modify your ecu, and some more hardware. This has been covered a few times on this site, but I dont have a link handy at the moment. Have a look around and if you cant find it i'll dig it up.

The OSE12P bin has a setting for 1, 2 or 3 bar map, so you will be able to change just that setting, set the '2 bar' option, install your 2 bar sensor and it should keep running exactly the same, but with the ability to tune for boost. Or someone might be kind enough to post up a decent tune with boost for that engine? anyone got one?
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

Continuing from antus, for the hardware you have a few options.

Can buy kits or pre-built...
NVRAM for tuning - https://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=167
808 comms for logging - https://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=165

Or make your own...
comms board https://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=173
NVRAM info here https://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=243
benk

Post by benk »

Thanks for the quick reply

You will have to bear with me as I am still trying to get my head around all this

antus/ VL400

Was the standard VN code that you were talking about OSE_12PV101? I have downloaded this code and have had a look through it and can see the differences compared to the $5D but not sure what that means yet :) . I just wanted to make sure that I have the right one and that it is complete as I am still not sure what the maps should look like yet for the standard tune.

I found a $5D tune that is a "supercharged CAPA Tune" and as far as the spark timing map looks like what I am trying to achieve viewtopic.php?f=7&t=140 so I might look at transfering into the $12P later.

The mods to the computer, are they only needed to do real Time tuning and logging or do you need them for running as well? Also do you still need a burner to write the program to the chip?

Dose this program use the same chips as the standard eprom?
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

Hi, the 101 version is just earlier in the development cycle. you want v104, it will run all VN and VP, VR Manuals and VS V8 Manuals. the nvram is required to realtime tune and use the VE learn features. you can just burn it to a standard memcal and run it in a memcal if you want, but everytime you want to change something you will have to reburn the memcal, it will get old quick ;) . it is a 32k tune so you need a 27C256 or 29C256 or bigger. Yes, you need a burner to write the initial bin to the nvram.

the bin is initially a v8 calibration, so you will need someone to flash in the v6 cal with their nvram and post it up if you want to use $12p without the nvram. I highly recommend not using the hacked up $5D as it doesnt have enough cells once you run it on 2 bar to run smoothly. Delcowizzid has a v6 turbo and has tuned a few so he should be able to point you in the right direction when hes on the forum next.
benk

Post by benk »

So the nvram replaces the standard memcal so you can modify the tune without burning the program onto the chip each time- correct?

I wasn't planing to use the $5D 2 bar tune but I was just going use it as a guide when trying to change the maps in the $12P.

It would be good if I could get hold of a V6 Turbo tune just to see how it is set up but I still want to learn how it all operates and what parts to change for different results.

I am going to start with the spark timing as I think that will be the easiest to understand. I noticed that in the $12p there are map 1 and map 2 in it. Is this so you can have 2 different tunes for for say a duel fuel system so when you cange fuels it will change to the other tune?

Next I noticed that there is also 2 main spark maps one for 20 to 100Kpa and one for boost. As I understand that it will run off the first map up to 100kpa and then will go onto the boost map after that for anything above 100Kpa?
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

exactly right, the nvram board actually replaces the entire memcal, then you can flash the tune up the serial cable while the engine is running. the Map A and Map B are connected to the map switch, hook a switch from B9 to earth. switch off is Map A switch on is Map B. handy for petrol/methanol tunes or even just if you want one aggressive spark map and one tame.

and you are correct on the boost stuff as well, up to 100kpa is uses the 20-100kpa map and above 100kpa it switches to the boosted maps.

edit: this is a handy copy/paste from one of holden202's posts.

B9 - Map Switching
D8 - Wideband Input
A4 - Flex Output 1
A3 - Flex Output 2
D12 - Flex Output 3
D7 - Flex Output 4 - Works as TCC solenoid if Automatic Transmission, Flex table if Manual Transmission.
B12 - 0-25v A/D Input
benk

Post by benk »

That's handy to know

Ok the next question is to do a basic tune with a turbo set up I shouldn't have to touch the 20 to 100kpa map and only have to set up the boost map as I see in the V104 it hasn't had any setpoints added yet (I take it this is where you set up the base timing)? Also will these 2 maps be the only ones I will have to look at to get the basic timing set up?
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

this is what I would do as a start... open the BLCD.cal file in tunerpro. now this tune is for VR v6 so it wont be perfect for a VN S1, the spark advance is too low and the fuel map wont be perfect. youll have to wideband at some point.
you need to get bigger injectors, the stock 19lb ones will not be sufficient. nor will the stock fuel pump.
you need to set the injector constant to suit your injectors. I can help with that if you tell me what injectors you have.
its a VN so set the speed sensor ppk to 1250 and check the disable anti theft flag.
open Map A: MAP Sensor Type Selection A \ A:B Clear = 1Bar and tick it. this will set it to 2 bar map sensor mode.
leave it with the VR spark map for now, change to the vn spark map later when the fuelling has been verified with a wideband.
open the spark map take the 100kpa column and copy it to the 100kpa column of the boosted map, then copy it across to each column, removing 1.5 deg for each new column as you move to the right. as I said before delcowizzid can give you a better spark map but this way the car will at least run.
for fuel, open the 20-100kpa volumetric efficiency and copy the 100kpa col to the boosted VE map. just copy this column across to every column.
next open the Map A: Boost Air Fuel ratio vs RPM and MAP and set every cell you see to 11.5.

I think that should run, wont be the best tune but it will run and should be farily safe. (I hereby absolve myself of any responsibility for engine damage :P)

after all that, you still need to flash the cal into the nvram to run it. someone here can probably flash it in and extract the bin for you.
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

The 12P code is factory tuned in terms of all vacuum areas (20-100kPa) for either a VR V8 or V6 but all boost areas are up to the user to setup.

These are the boost tables...
EST - Boost Main Spark Advance vs MAP and RPM (map A and B)
EST - Coolant Advance vs Boost MAP and Temp (Coolant Advance Bias Term Is Subtracted)
EST - Charge Temp Advance vs Boost MAP and Temp (Charge Temp Advance Bias Term Is Subtracted)
A/F Ratio - Boost Air Fuel ratio vs RPM and MAP (map A and B)
A/F Ratio - Boost Cold Engine A/F Ratio vs Coolant Temp and MAP (map A and B)
VE - Boost Volumetric Efficiency (VE) as a function of MAP and RPM
Boost - Boost Multiplier Vs MAP (100-200kPa or 100-300kPa)
Charge Temp - Boost % Coolant contribution for calculating charge temp Vs RPM & MAP

The main ones to get right are the spark and VE - VE you will have to datalog with a wideband to get right. Target AFR and cold engine AFR can be adjusted to whatever AFR you want to target (once the VE is correct). The boost multiplier is dependant on what fuel regulator your using. The coolant and charge temp advance can be left as is. The coolant contribution % can be adjusted while tuning.

There is lots to get your head around to begin with but it will start making sense soon 8-)

EDIT: Take jayme's advice for the initial settings :thumbup: