VZ Alloytec 195Kw Quad timed cam fuel issue

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
VX L67 Getrag

VZ Alloytec 195Kw Quad timed cam fuel issue

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

I have a customer that complains when he fills his tank to the top the first start after it runs rough for 30 seconds or so, has anyone came across this before?

The car is completely stock 2005 calais & uses 95Ron & has new filters, sparks & coils fitted & I also tried blowing through all fuel tank lines with everything vented while blowing through.
HQ355
cars: HQ Holden

Re: VZ Alloytec 195Kw Quad timed cam fuel issue

Post by HQ355 »

Shit in the tank getting stirred up ? How old is fuel pump ?
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Timing chain issue usually...
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

they are bad for sucking raw fuel up the purge valve after filling up happens to a lot
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
VX L67 Getrag

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

I thought if it was crap in the tank it would be worse when tank was low, but I guess possibly as pump's never been replaced!

With the alloytec's I've had issues with timing chains, that normally happened on a cold/cool start I thought not after refill?

Ahh cool could have a winner with the purge valve sucking raw fuel thats what I was thinking & may try modifying it somehow & see if it's any better!
MAGP
cars: VC V8 sedan, VS V6 wagon, VT V8 Landcruiser.

Post by MAGP »

VX L67 Getrag wrote:I have a customer that complains when he fills his tank to the top the first start after it runs rough for 30 seconds or so, has anyone came across this before?
Your answer is right here in your OP. Tell the customer to stop filling at the first click. He is filling the expansion tank after that and is forcing unmetered fuel into the engine.
Biggvl wrote:Timing chain issue usually...
Not when it only happens when the tank is filled to the brim.
delcowizzid wrote:they are bad for sucking raw fuel up the purge valve after filling up happens to a lot
Spot on, cars do this when people over fill the tanks. It's nothing new it happens on old carb cars as well.
VX L67 Getrag wrote:Ahh cool could have a winner with the purge valve sucking raw fuel thats what I was thinking & may try modifying it somehow & see if it's any better!
Don't blame the purge valve, blame the customer for over filling the tank.
VX L67 Getrag

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

The only thing I know he's going to say to me is he has always filled this way & why has it only started happening in the last 6 months & not the first 10 years of it's life.
MAGP
cars: VC V8 sedan, VS V6 wagon, VT V8 Landcruiser.

Post by MAGP »

Yep, I've had them do the same to me as well but you can't charge when there is nothing actually wrong apart from pebwas (problem exist between wheel and seat).
What do you do? waste your time when you know what the real problem is and not be able to charge for it? Be honest. straight, and polite.

EDIT: Here's a suggestion, go out with the owner go to the local servo and let them fill it up with you there. Take note of what they do and what the car is like after restart. If it plays up ask them to drive it around for 1/2 an hour or so to get the fuel level down to 3/4 tank. Go back to the same servo and you fill it to the first click, no more no less. Take note of what the car does. If it plays up you know there is a problem other than pebwas, if it doesn't you have proof and can explain it to the owner.
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Post by Dylan »

I had a VZ once this was ONE of it's problems. Fill from half a tank to 3/4 and wouldn't start then run ruff as described. POS VZ's are. I traded it on a Subaru. Didn't matter hiw little fuel from empty or even a top up. Still done nearly every time.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

i don't agree that its being over filled, i have had 2 VZ v6 utes, first one 160,000kms, and second one sold at 240,000kms, never once did i have that issue and i always fill it after the first click to get a bit more in it because i do so many kms lol!

and if it hasn't been doing it and now is then obviously something has changed to cause it.

not fully filling the tank is probably an easy solution but you still have to ask yourself why has it started happening!