Can I isolate test distributor and ignition module?

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
h4x0r

Can I isolate test distributor and ignition module?

Post by h4x0r »

Trying to do a 304 conversion but not getting any spark out of my ignition setup. My LED test lamp will pulse on the signal wire from the hall effect sensor to ground. I also tried running +ve to the signal wire on my LED test lamp like the snapon tools manual suggest but no pulse. I have tested my ignition module for 20 minutes up to operating temperature in another car and it works fine. I am not getting pulse on the brown earth wire for the ignition coil. I have replaced the hall effect sensor with a new one from jaycar and still the same issue. The test procedure from here: http://www.snapontools.com.au/__data/as ... Manual.pdf

suggests I should check for shorts in my loom.

Can I isolate the ignition module and distributor and make my own 6 wire circuit outside of the car to test for pulse? Will it still pulse with this basic circuit? or does it need the computer?
Hsv183

Re: Can I isolate test distributor and ignition module?

Post by Hsv183 »

You will still get spark even if you disconnect the PCM. The module is switched to bypass by the PCM when certain RPM reached. I would check that you have a 12v supply to the coil & to the module which should be fused.
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

Tested the coil? checked the rotor/cap?

In another thread somewhere I posted info on the pin outs of the module and expected voltages I think but I can't remember where it is now :(

Found it, file attached (this is not my file, comes from the ebay user Nuclearpowermodules )
Bosch Holden V8 ignition module IM Signals.txt
(2.55 KiB) Downloaded 222 times
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Post by Dylan »

Seap dissy from the working car you had the module in. The 12 volt supply for ignition is same as the injectors. Do you have 12 volt there? Are they pulsing?