VT 5L ECU & Loom into VS

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
Whyzee

VT 5L ECU & Loom into VS

Post by Whyzee »

Hi everyone! Long time lurker, but only just decided to join since I'm in need of some help.

I have a VS 5L and want to convert it to sequential injection. I already have the VT 5L ECU, loom, MAF, dizzy etc.

In terms of the ECU side of things, will I just need to have VATS turned off to make it all work? Obviously I'll need to make some wiring changes where the engine loom meets the body loom (3 plugs for the vt versus 2 for the vs). If anybody knows where I'd be able to find diagrams for this that'd be awesome.

Or is it a little more complicated than that?
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Re: VT 5L ECU & Loom into VS

Post by antus »

Well the data sent to the dash is different and so is the heart beat on the ALDL bus. I think the computer uses a different device ID too. You'll need to disable VATS at a minimum, and since the VS dash requires less ALDL than the VT dash that may work. What doesnt overall is hard to say. Im not sure if it would produce any problems with ABS. Perhaps someone else will have more information.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
MAGP
cars: VC V8 sedan, VS V6 wagon, VT V8 Landcruiser.

Post by MAGP »

The VS Series 3 and VT ecu are the exact same and the loom is the same for the engine but I am not sure if the VS series 3 loom has different connections where it connects to the other loom. If the VS series 1 and 2 have the same body connections as the series 3 you may be able to just get a series 3 loom and fit it instead of trying to make the VT loom fit the VS and have everything work. You will need to do some research Google pictures would be a good place to start. Dylan may have a definitive answer on that.
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Post by Dylan »

You're on the money MAGP, burn a VS3 memcal. As for the loom I've never re worked a VT loom for VS but it's workable just take your time.
Dylan

Post by Dylan »

Might be something worth doing there's been a few blokes wanting a VS3 loom.
Whyzee

Post by Whyzee »

Sweet. With the vs s3 tune, will I still need to have vats turned off or will it communicate properly with the older bcm?

shame the vs s3's are so rare. The whole vt setup should arrive next week so will get started on adapting the wiring to suit
kojab
cars: VT V6 supercharged in a corolla

Post by kojab »

I would think the VS s3 tune will work with your VS 5L BCM.
Davidp
cars: Vs ute soon to be l67 manual and a wh ls1 statesman.

Post by Davidp »

Anyone had any luck in doing the vt 5lt engine loom reworked to suit vs body? Have a mate with a VS and he wants the vt ecu and engine loom in the VS, Any help would be appreciated, I know this post is old but can't hurt to try. The vt ecu does have a nvram so I can turn off vats etc, the engine is a vt 5lt and t5 from VS.
Dylan

Post by Dylan »

See if you can find a VS3 loom
Davidp
cars: Vs ute soon to be l67 manual and a wh ls1 statesman.

Post by Davidp »

I do have a vs v8 s3 getrag loom but the body plugs are different, I know I can rewire it to suit the t5. but it has 3 plugs where it connects to the body, and the body has 2 plugs. Car was originally v6 auto.