VIM (Variable Intake Manifold) Amplifier Deletion

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

VIM (Variable Intake Manifold) Amplifier Deletion

Post by Tazzi »

Hopefully this little blurb will help out others that go to get an update on their ECM for all early VE V6 commodores.

This action MUST be completed prior to updating the ECM, details on which VINs are affected are indicated in the attached PDF.

Essentially the VIM amplifier is removed by a simply loop back so that the VIM Value is directly connected to the ECM. This is performed due to various issues that were occurring (Engine DTC P2008) as well as the massive improvements on the software side.

Recently I was asked about the VIM amplifier delete, Its not often I come across something that I have absolutely never heard of (Almost embarrassingly so!), and even worse there is literally no documentation online in regards to this!

The attached PDF is the tech bulletin which indicates the required procedure to be conducted prior to update the ECM. The required plug for the deletion from Holden is ~$100, but you can get away with wiring it yourself (Simple loop back).

Hope this helps out!
Attachments
6C-1218 VE VIM Deletion.pdf
(1.42 MiB) Downloaded 732 times
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
Holden202T

Re: VIM (Variable Intake Manifold) Amplifier Deletion

Post by Holden202T »

that's interesting that it only specifies VE's I would have thought a VZ would be the same as early VE.....

if you makes you feel any better I haven't heard of this either hehe!
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Post by Tazzi »

Holden202T wrote:that's interesting that it only specifies VE's I would have thought a VZ would be the same as early VE.....

if you makes you feel any better I haven't heard of this either hehe!
Good question... Ill call Holden technical later and see what they have to say. Its not even easy to find that tech doc even with access! Its hidden within tonnes of tech bulletins.
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

is the only symptoms the DTC or does the car start doing funky stuff ?
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

VZ dont have VIM, i have done hundreds of the VE 1 'VIM amp reworks' haven't done one in a few years though...
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

I can't understand why they don't and the VE does ? then obviously it wasn't working properly or needed so later ones don't have it anyways ?!?!
pman92
cars: HZ One Tonner
VE Ute

Post by pman92 »

I have heard about this but never actually had to do the job.

I thought VZ "high performance" V6 had VIM but standard didn't?
Do all VE alloytec have it?

Later ones still have a VIM, your not actually removing the variable intake manifold.

Your removing the amplifier for the position sensor signal, is that correct?, or is the amplifier driving the VIM actuator, amplifying the actuation signal coming out of the PCM?

Whatever it is your either A: removing the amplifier from the circuit and connecting the position signal directly to another input pin on the PCM, or B: removing the amplifier and connecting the VIM actuator to another output from the PCM. And then changing the software on the PCM to suit.

Not sure why they changed, maybe the amplifier was problematic, maybe they decided it wasn't required and could save money not installing them and the only reason for the modification is so there isn't the requirement of 2 different sets of software for vehicles with/without when the software would otherwise be identical
VR-VY Holden BCM Simulator: View Post
MrModule.com.au
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

yes the 190kw or 195kw in VE I think have the variable inlet manifold where the 175kw motor doesn't, the 190 also got the 4 adjustable cams as apposed to 175 with just inlets adjustable.
hsv08
cars: (EX) VT SENATOR 355 STROKER
(EX) VT SS 304 MANUAL
NOW VX V6 HACK

Post by hsv08 »

Biggvl wrote:VZ dont have VIM, i have done hundreds of the VE 1 'VIM amp reworks' haven't done one in a few years though...
Did you use the "VIM DELETE" plug? or just resolder the wires to loop back? im after more info regarding the what happens to the plug end once disconnected.
hsv08
cars: (EX) VT SENATOR 355 STROKER
(EX) VT SS 304 MANUAL
NOW VX V6 HACK

Post by hsv08 »

Holden202T wrote:yes the 190kw or 195kw in VE I think have the variable inlet manifold where the 175kw motor doesn't, the 190 also got the 4 adjustable cams as apposed to 175 with just inlets adjustable.
It was a very early SV6 that I came across with this VIM delete issue, as far as im aware it was only the very early batch of S1 VE SV6 with the VIM AMP fitted, the later removed and rewired them on the production line