Ecotec Conversion - Is there a way to test VATS

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
Pikey

Ecotec Conversion - Is there a way to test VATS

Post by Pikey »

Hey Guys, I have nearly completed my VX ecotec into Holden Rodeo conversion.
I have purchased a custom wiring loom and sent the ECM away to get VATS removed. I have now fitted the ECM without any of the BCM or anything like that.
The custom wiring loom is controlling the engine and the Starter and Alternator are still connected to the Rodeo wiring.

The problem is, it wont start and the other thing I have noticed is the engine check light doesn't come on with the ignition (the wiring harness had a check engine light included in the loom), well it doesn't come on at all.
The engine will crank as the Rodeo wiring is doing this, the Commodore ECM is also working as far as I can tell, as I can hear the fuel pump prime and then stop. There are also a few relays clicking when I turn on the ignition and I can hear a small click coming from the engine somewhere, but when I crank it over it fails to even fire. I can smell petrol, so I am guessing it is getting to the engine, it has one of those cone air filters, so I am guessing that is where I can smell the petrol from.

The engine check light is the bit I don't understand as I thought that came on for a couple of seconds when you turn the ignition on.
I also tried to connect on of those engine fault tools to see if I could read codes but it gets halfway through the connection process and just hangs, but not sure if it will work on this engine really.
I tried shorting pins 5 and 6 on the diagnostic plug and turning on the ignition, but nothing, it doesn't even light up.

I did find something about earths, so I checked the battery is earthed to the body and also the lead carries on and earths to the engine.
There are also a number of earths on the wiring loom that I have connected to the body. I am not sure if the ECM itself needs to be earthed as it is sitting on the passenger floor at the moment until I get it fitted under the dash. I know sometimes things have a small wire on the case and earth to the body, just don't remember there being anything on the ECM when I pulled it from the VX Commodore

So close and yet I just can't get it to fire, driving me nuts....any help would be much appreciated as I am running out of ideas.
The1

Re: Ecotec Conversion - Is there a way to test VATS

Post by The1 »

The BCM controls check engine light on a vx, so hence why it's not working, same with a/c and low speed Thermo fan. Do you have a datalogging adapter? You can check then if vats is ok. Otherwise check if the injectors pulse while cranking, if vats is failed then injectors won't pulse
Jayme

Re: Ecotec Conversion - Is there a way to test VATS

Post by Jayme »

Pikey wrote: There are also a number of earths on the wiring loom that I have connected to the body.

this bit concerns me.... how do you know these were earths? from memory, all the earths the engine loom needs, are already in the engine loom and terminate on the engine block. you shouldnt have to hook up any extra.