LS1 PCM info for VX and VY

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
exec24

LS1 PCM info for VX and VY

Post by exec24 »

I've looked around but can't quite find what I'm looking for

I recently wrecked a 2002 VX SS Auto series 2, long story short I'm thinking to keep the engine and drive line and fit it into my 2004 VY series 2, which is currently V6

I'm pretty certain the VX ls1 engine harness is different to the VY , so I'm thinking it will be easier to purchase a VY ls1 engine harness, and sell the VX one,

According to Holdens there is about 10 different Auto engine harnesses, so I'm not sure if it will be any major issues in regards to the transmission calibration as Holden ran a different spec trans in the 2004 models, I've gotta double check the transmission wiring but it's seems to have the exact pinout between 2002 and 2004, the only difference I have found is on some, is the neutral start switch on the transmission housing is different

Are all LS PCM's the same? Or do I need to source a particular code, the one I have from the VX is DFNN, from the mentioned car, which I know runs perfectly, and then get a engine harness from a 2002 VY V8, and modify it if need be?

Or get the correct engine harness for the 2004 VY, and get a new PCM and hope it runs ok, with the 2002 trans, at worst get it retuned
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Re: LS1 PCM info for VX and VY

Post by Dylan »

VY harness is different to VX. Mechanically the auto is compatible between the 2 as far as I know. Even the PCM and calibrations are compatible.

Best bet is run that engine and trans. Get a VY harness and range switch for the auto. Even could have the PCM updated to a VY calibration as I think it was late VX there was the upgrade to DSKW.
exec24

Post by exec24 »

ok, might be a stupid question, what is a "Range Switch" or is this the neutral start switch on the transmission housing?

any idea if the DFNN code was the calibration code before they upgraded to DSKW calibration?

I'd prefer to use the DFNN calibrated PCM as it matches the transmission, im thinking by doing this it, would have less of a chance throwing an error light up, and it's probably easier for me to modify a engine harness or repin a couple of plugs/terminals than getting the PCM calibration changed, if need be...

now to just work out which VY engine Harness to get
Dylan

Post by Dylan »

DSKW is a newer revision. People have ran it as far back as VT's. Range switch is the switch on the side of the auto. VY ran one big connector compared to the 2 on the earlier one's.

Never noticed any different auto looms. Maybe the body pin outs vary but would only be extra's doubt pin positions would be different.
exec24

Post by exec24 »

i went though the pinouts last week and didnt notice any difference's between VY Series 1 or 2, only the VX one

but i will go through it again in the next few days and make sure
Dylan

Post by Dylan »

VX has totally different body connections. Engine trans will be the same. Some VT body connections vary between series.
exec24

Post by exec24 »

yeah i was comparing the 3 before which where VX series 2, VY Series 1 and VY Series 2

i noticed VX was alot different, so i will purchase a VY one and sell off the VX loom,

i now want to go through it again to see if there are any major difference between VY series 1 or 2, the range switch/neutral start switch is different as you mentioned this was apparently when VY series 2 was released, so VY series 1 had vx type switch
Dylan

Post by Dylan »

Never come across a VY with the old style range switch must be really early. Does the same job though.
exec24

Post by exec24 »

not too fussed on what one i end up with, i'll just use the matching switch at worst

last thing i can think to ask is if the PIM module (powertrain interface module) from the VX will suit the VY?
Dylan

Post by Dylan »

Couldn't be sure. Don't think the V6 ran one? Think that was to get VPW data from thS1 PCM to ALDL format for the cluster? Could be wrong.