vy interior conversion to vu ute error codes

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
harrop.senator
cars: 74 trans am, 76 180b , 90 180sx, 90 r31, 94 senator , 01 vu ute

vy interior conversion to vu ute error codes

Post by harrop.senator »

Hi guys I'm a way through a mate finishing my vy interior swap and its getting a bit tense n stressed. Its started off when I had a vy parts car next to it after i used the donor l67 to build to put in the mrs ute. It was started by a "friend" who is a qualified auto electrician. Long story short he pulled it down cut looms didnt mark things and then fell off the face of the earth.

A second friend then agreed to take the job who is an ex technician from holden and thought it would be easy. The agreed price was $1000 cash plus any parts. He's got most of it back together with much stressing and sooking as apparently the job was over his head. I'd offered him a bail out in the beginning before he'd got too into it and had a quote of $1500 from a dude that does them all the time n needed the car for 2 days to complete it. But my friend wanted the job and assured me he could do it.

All of the dash is back in electric windows working head lights working car turns over. He hasn't yet grafted the drivers side kick panel plug to work with the vx body side where it passes through to the back and does fuel pump etc.

What's happening at the moment is srs airbag fault, abs fault, check engine and fuel guage sender.

Check engine and fuel gauge sender I'm assuming is no fuel pump prime or sender current as the plug isnt grafted yet. The abs isnt connected as its a ute but the harness was from a sedan so their is a plug there for it. First things first how do you bridge the abs plug so it can be removed and the "everything is okay" signal be sent back to the computer?

Any idea on bridging or a solution to the air bag plugs?

Also the thermos are coming on as soon as the ignition is turned to on does anyone know what pin it is on an l67 pcm for thermo switch and what colour it is on an l36 vy manual loom? I had Mark Hosking (commodore tune ) send him a repin configuration that worked perfectly when i used it and had the vx interior in there still and i dont know if hes messed up one of the pin locations or if its a fault elsewhere?

Also when the right indicator goes on everything works correctly. When the left goes on front left flashes double speed rear left nothing shows and right rear comes on? Their were know indicator faults previously with the vx interior.

Any help would be appreciated as I cant get it engineered with all these codes whether they hinder the running of the car or not.

I'm trying not to have the friendship ruined but hes had a it a couple months now and I think once its running is going to try and have me oay him in full even with these faults which is definitely going to be a heated conversatiom as I'd said I wouldn't pay til its finished and complete and sillily delt bad and have already started to pay him as he went along but wont be paying in full for a car with all these fault codes on the dash as thats not a finished job.

I also would really like to avoid having to then pay a third person at a shop. Probably the guy who should of done the job in the first place an unknown amount as he'll have to check over all this other guys work and possibly replace a lot of it costing me another arm and leg.

So far its cost me around 2.5k between missing parts needing replacement or things needing to be changed etc and I'm totally regretting the fact the mrs wanted cruise control and electric windows as that was why the whole swap came about...

Total list of parts used is
L36 vy manual engine harness
L36 vy berlina interior harness and front body harness
L36 vu rear harness
L36 vy steering wheel with clock spring and airbag
L36 vy dash airbag
601 mid level bcm which comes in sedans and utes
L67 vy pcm

Sorry about the novel but I though a background of why parts were mismatched in places and all of the information was better then not enough information. Also sorry if this is in the wrong place I didnt exactly know where to put it. All help and information will be very very appreciated.
cars: VY s L67
Haines Hunter - not a car but still a toy

Re: vy interior conversion to vu ute error codes

Post by 0081 »

I can only offer a some help with the srs fault, the number of air bags can be set in the cluster and this is likely what is causing the fault and changing the setting to whats actually in the ute should solve this, proving the wiring is correct.
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Post by Dylan »

Is the engine PCM still from the VU? If so it'll need re flashed with a VY tune. That may be causing the fans to come on, maybe also some of the cluster errors to.
harrop.senator

Post by harrop.senator »

Thanks dude I'll pass the information across the pcm is from a vy l67 and has a vats removed xu6 tune with no timing pull around the shift points for the manual conversion.
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Post by Tazzi »

0081 wrote:I can only offer a some help with the srs fault, the number of air bags can be set in the cluster and this is likely what is causing the fault and changing the setting to whats actually in the ute should solve this, proving the wiring is correct.
Yeah Im a but confused on whats been done at the airbag side of it.

Has the SDM (Airbag module) been changed between cars?
Has the instrument cluster been changed?
Has any airbags been added/deleted since taking from the donor to the VU ute?
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
harrop.senator

Post by harrop.senator »

The airbag module is the original vu module.

The cluster is a 250km/h s pac vy unit.

The airbag and steering wheel is from the vy s pac the vu i dont think had a dash airbag I'm unsure if he fitted the one from the vy dash bag that came with it.
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

harrop.senator wrote:The airbag module is the original vu module.

The cluster is a 250km/h s pac vy unit.

The airbag and steering wheel is from the vy s pac the vu i dont think had a dash airbag I'm unsure if he fitted the one from the vy dash bag that came with it.
Right, so its a bit of mix and match.

Cluster will need its configuration updated.
And SDM is probably freaking out if you have added an airbag module to it when there shouldnt be one (If I read that right?).

As far as Im aware.. the SDM is preprogrammed to a specific configuration, so adding/removing airbags isnt an option as it cannot be reconfigured.
Ive not attempted to fit an extra airbag or permanently remove one from a vehicle, but Iv had alot of people say what they did during their conversions.

Theres been two main options for it:
1) Grab an SDM from a vehicle with a airbag configuration which matches your new setup.
2) Or when removing airbags, they have simulated the missing airbags (Such as side airbags) with some resistors and capacitors.

My suggestion, is disconnect every new airbag additions you have done. And leave only connected what the original VU had.
The cluster will then need its airbag setup to match what the VU utes original setup was, Which I think it is Seatbelt pretensioners+Driver (No passenger or side airbags).

Thermo fans also jump on when there is loss of communication from BCM and rest of the car.. so could be another cause for that.
harrop.senator

Post by harrop.senator »

Thanks heaps buddy ill give him that information now! Do you know how to bridge or what diodes to add to send a happy signal back to the abs as it wont be running ans at all being a ute.
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

harrop.senator wrote:Thanks heaps buddy ill give him that information now! Do you know how to bridge or what diodes to add to send a happy signal back to the abs as it wont be running ans at all being a ute.
Its a little more tougher than that for the ABS.

For example.. on the bench when I power up a VY cluster, I get allllll sorts of faults pop up including ABS.
The reason the ABS fault pops up is because the cluster doesnt see the ABSs hearbeat, which is a message broadcasted in the car usually saying "Im here and everything is ok!".

Think of the ABS like that drunk mate who just keeps blabbering on and literally never stops.. and the cluster is the designated sober driver which sounds the alarms after a mate passes out from drinking. :thumbup:

When I simulate the entire cars communication on bench, all warnings disappear on the cluster and it fires up as per usual. Not sure if the ABS module can just have resistors thrown on it to make it a happy camper, as it does have quite an important role.
harrop.senator

Post by harrop.senator »

Hmm that doesnt sound very promising lol. Dont exactly want to fit abs to the car and i knowfor a fact homes wont start the whole thing again with another harness.