Vs series 3 v8 ute

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
HQ355
cars: HQ Holden

Re: Vs series 3 v8 ute

Post by HQ355 »

Clive ftw, great quality and not that expensive and knows his shit
brindo

Post by brindo »

If you have the original stock roller cam you could always consider getting that reground to whatever profile you want. I have recently just done this and didn’t get a lot of change from $350 for the regrind. But live with that for a while and see if you like it as it’s a big investment in a new billet if you get it wrong. When you know you’re happy with it, get a billet roller and upgrade to tie bars at the same time.

If you go a regrind, you also get to choose what lobe separation you have too. That plays a bit part in how driveable to car will be.
That CBSR-416 should be a good cam for a relatively stock engine.
MAGP
cars: VC V8 sedan, VS V6 wagon, VT V8 Landcruiser.

Post by MAGP »

J'rod I measure my MAFs (I have 2) and on both the internal measurement is approx 65mm at the restriction, the inlet and outlet measurements are 75 mm. The 1st MAF come with the engine (a crate engine from HSV) and the 2nd come from my local Holden dealer when I needed a good unit to test the old unit against. It may be I was sent a generic one with the engine but I would have thought the dealer would have got the correct one when I ordered the 2nd unit, they used my engine number as a reference and noted it was a HSV 220i.
The J'rod
cars: Vs V8 series 3 commodore ute

Post by The J'rod »

Have thought about it brindo, getting a regrind as I have a cam sitting around out of a vt s1 gts, but as I understand regrinding any half aggressive cam profile to a stock would then require new pushrods which then puts the price of it up, and you are again back up at the price of a new cam, as taking material off the cam has to be made up somewhere, especially when looking for more lift which I am.

Would like to hear though since you had been through it whether that's been your experience, and what where your before grind and then after grind specs
The J'rod

Post by The J'rod »

Thanks magp, guess he got it wrong in that article.
MAGP
cars: VC V8 sedan, VS V6 wagon, VT V8 Landcruiser.

Post by MAGP »

He may not have, I'm going to do some more looking around. I'll ask other dealers and see what they come up with. If I can gain more torque and hp I'll do it.
brindo

Post by brindo »

I got away without changing pushrods as I had shims under the rocker pedestals to start with. So I was able to remove a shim to accommodate for the reduced base circle when the reground cam went in. The geometry wasn't perfect before and still isn't now but its done a lot of miles not being perfect.

I'm glad I went regrind as to be honest I got the cam specs wrong. Had I got a new billet, I would have wasted a lot of cash on something I'm not happy with. Original cam was a stock roller, but I bought a cheap ebay HSV cam to regrind, and I went for 215 @ 0.050" on the intake with 0.515" lift and 220 @ 0.050" on the exhaust with 0.525" lift, and a 116 lobe centre.

The cam grinder couldn't match exactly what I wanted but went close enough.

Against popular opinion, I would almost advise going to a flat tappet in something close to what you want, try it and then get a billet roller in the specs you choose once your happy with it. You wont get the same lift as a roller, but will get the duration and lobe centres where you want them.

The mistake I made was to go too wide in the lobe sep, and if choosing again would close that up to 112, or maybe 111, as my car is hardly ever under boost, and would consider a 5 deg increase in duration.
The J'rod

Post by The J'rod »

Anybody used the bored out MAF's from mace (are they worth it), and what's involved with the retune to make it work.
The1

Post by The1 »

wouldn't be worth the money, just use a card MAF instead with say 4" pipe. Any MAF change would need some fueling retune.
The J'rod

Post by The J'rod »

Thanks brindo on the advise, it sounds like what you wished you went with cam spec wise, is exactly in the range that I'm looking at, so that gives me confidence I'm on the right track.

Thanks again though I really love hearing advise from people with first hand experience