VZ V6 ECU (E55) - Replacements or Repairs

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Re: VZ V6 ECU (E55) - Replacements or Repairs

Post by Tazzi »

The1 wrote:that's pretty much everything these days due to lead free solder, PS3 was another big one. The lead free can't run as long with the expansion and contraction without cracking.
Yeah, my old original 60gB ps3 cracked it again the other day.
Have to run over the CPU and GPU with heat to reflow, apply new paste and good to go for another few years!
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

I gave a crack at fixing that ECM. Looks like its all sorted again. About an hours work to repair 6wires then probe the pins for continuity.. literally sweating from doing micro surgery!
Opened up 4th one, and had the same failures. So.. fixing is possible.. and looks like its the same wires that fail.
So almost certain this must be what that ebay service is doing... if its 'only' those wires that ever fail, the installing something thicker would help with longer lifespan.
The1

Post by The1 »

wow something wrong with those wires or pads from the factory im guessing could you tell if the wires were broken or did they come off the pads? This would be huge seeing how many bricks there would be out there, the PIA thing is getting that black cover off without damaging it, then getting it to reseal, i would think a heatgun would make short work of it, then use some of that automotive silastic stuff to glue to back on and seal it.
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

The1 wrote:wow something wrong with those wires or pads from the factory im guessing could you tell if the wires were broken or did they come off the pads? This would be huge seeing how many bricks there would be out there, the PIA thing is getting that black cover off without damaging it, then getting it to reseal, i would think a heatgun would make short work of it, then use some of that automotive silastic stuff to glue to back on and seal it.
Same wires. Its the actual wire which fractures in half.

I think the first one I put in the oven made the gel go soft, and any broken wires started to come lose and moved towards each other (My own explanation without cracking it open).

But Im using the reflow of my solder station to heat up the back, then move around the back plate with pocket knife. Seems to come off nicely.

Iv yet to actually glue it down. But figured the hot glue I use would seal it fine and wouldnt go funny with under 150deg heat.
hsv08
cars: (EX) VT SENATOR 355 STROKER
(EX) VT SS 304 MANUAL
NOW VX V6 HACK

Post by hsv08 »

Time to crack open the numerous dead vz ECMs here i have. even if just for a look to see if they all suffer the same fractured connections
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

hsv08 wrote:Time to crack open the numerous dead vz ECMs here i have. even if just for a look to see if they all suffer the same fractured connections
Really do need something like The1 has for close up picks. You start losing track of wires from trying to look so close to the board.
Will need to find something for the gopro for some high res snaps.
Newtothisgame
cars: VZ Commodore 3.6lt Allotec

Post by Newtothisgame »

Hay guys just want to ask a question....
I've got VZ 3.6, was just wondering if 1 of the comen symptoms of the ecu failing is an intermittent misfire mostly under light accel (like when over taking for ex)
I'm a mechanic by trade & I'll be the first person to admit I haven't even put an eye over it little own looked into diag..
Only ask because last week was talking to nother mechanic outside of work who said it's a comen sign
The ecu is on its way out.... I sort of just laughed it off but after reading few posts/comments tonight i actually
Thought dam maybe the bloke was right after all
pman92
cars: HZ One Tonner
VE Ute

Post by pman92 »

Newtothisgame wrote:Hay guys just want to ask a question....
I've got VZ 3.6, was just wondering if 1 of the comen symptoms of the ecu failing is an intermittent misfire mostly under light accel (like when over taking for ex)
I'm a mechanic by trade & I'll be the first person to admit I haven't even put an eye over it little own looked into diag..
Only ask because last week was talking to nother mechanic outside of work who said it's a comen sign
The ecu is on its way out.... I sort of just laughed it off but after reading few posts/comments tonight i actually
Thought dam maybe the bloke was right after all
Sounds a lot more like a spark plug or coil than an ECU...
VR-VY Holden BCM Simulator: View Post
MrModule.com.au
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

plug a scan tool into it, it will tell you which cylinder has misfired, and then swap coils between cylinders to see if the issue is the coil .... replace as necessary.
Newtothisgame
cars: VZ Commodore 3.6lt Allotec

Post by Newtothisgame »

Holden202T wrote:plug a scan tool into it, it will tell you which cylinder has misfired, and then swap coils between cylinders to see if the issue is the coil .... replace as necessary.

Yeah thanks mate, thought it sounded weird to b an ecu issue but reading comments about ecu internals loosing contact with board (being a Newby) there was long shot he was right..

Not even sure if what I was thinking is possible or would cause a misfire ?? So just wanted to ask.

Thanks guys have been a member for 2 days now & haven't put either laptop or iPhone down yet haha

Great site