VZ V6 ECU (E55) - Replacements or Repairs

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Re: VZ V6 ECU (E55) - Replacements or Repairs

Post by Dylan »

Awesome work. Any potting around the board or does the cover lift straight off?
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Post by Tazzi »

MAGP wrote:ECUs have certainly changed in the last 30 years. So much more crammed into smaller cases.
These ECU's are weird, it all looks see through and the gel makes it feel like Im doing surgery on something alive :lol:
Nothing like other Holden ECMs like the LS1's or E38's.
Dylan wrote:Awesome work. Any potting around the board or does the cover lift straight off?
Its all glued down.
That ecu there, I got a bit impatient and pretty much ripped it off after lifting one corner.

Using a stanley, you can edge your way around the black cover so that it can be lifted slightly. Then slowly moving around it evenly until it eventually comes off.

Would have to be pretty dedicated to repair these constantly.
Only way would be grabbing both connectors, and then probe every pad on the board to its corresponding pin to ensure it has a valid connection. Eyeballing all of them is painfully slow.
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Not sure what the time cost is to uncover each pin before soldering, but i'd just do em all. Even if only one needs the fix the others will have to be close to failing too from what you describe.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
The1

Post by The1 »

here's some pics, i think i posted them about 4 or 5 yrs ago but can't find em.
Attachments
CJ945CC.jpg
CY315CB-1.jpg
VZ ECU.jpg
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

Love the chip pictures it's like Google earth on a suburb lol
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

http://www.bosch-semiconductors.de/medi ... t_Info.pdf

thats the first IC, can't find a datasheet for the 2nd one but google results for the sale of them suggest they are ECU specific driver IC.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Post by Tazzi »

vlad01 wrote:http://www.bosch-semiconductors.de/medi ... t_Info.pdf

thats the first IC, can't find a datasheet for the 2nd one but google results for the sale of them suggest they are ECU specific driver IC.
Any info is good info!!

I cant believe how high res and close those images are. Iv literally turned my eyes square staring at PCB's with a mag glass tracing back wires.
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
The1

Post by The1 »

it's taken with my 5D MK2 with MPE-65 Lens with MT-24EX Twin Macro Lens Flash. I still have the pcm sitting somewhere here if you want closeups of other chips
slewinson
cars: Barina SB C14SE
Lexus RX350
VW Golf Mk5 TDI DSG

Post by slewinson »

Tazzi wrote:So.. Iv had some success!
Popped an ECU in the oven on low. Left it for about 6mins.. then let it cool for another 15. Its now communicating back on bench :lol:
Didnt crack that one open at all.

Iv got one cracked open now. Will try get a good picture of it and see if cant pinout where injectors ect are. Since a few people have bridged the grounds between injector wires which has (temporarily) solved their issues.. so that could be a starting point for where those are and their joins.
This reminds me of a "repair" I made to an early Xbox. It refused to boot and you disconnected the fan, added extra clamping force to the CPU heat sink and let it run for 10-15 minutes. To my surprise it worked and lasted for 3 years. Research showed that the fault was improper soldering of the CPU, and this fix seemed to reflow the joints.

Simon
The1

Post by The1 »

that's pretty much everything these days due to lead free solder, PS3 was another big one. The lead free can't run as long with the expansion and contraction without cracking.