VATS removal and lpg

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
DJ23
cars: HZ with 304 5L

VATS removal and lpg

Post by DJ23 »

Hey guys, I am currently putting a VT 5.0L V8 into an old holden. Im wondering where i can have VATS removed as im not going to run a BCM.

Also the car the engine original came out of was running LPG, which I wont be running anymore. Does LPG get programmed into the ECU or memcal and would I need to have anything changed to prevent having problems with this.

Thanks a lot for your help
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Re: VATS removal and lpg

Post by Dylan »

Best to have a read of the memcal and go from there. Do you have your own gear or plan to get some?
MAGP
cars: VC V8 sedan, VS V6 wagon, VT V8 Landcruiser.

Post by MAGP »

Only the V6 had a LPG memcal from the factory, the V8 was never released with LPG so GMH never bothered with a special memcal for them. If the current tune is aftermarket it is possible the tuner set it up with 2 different bins and a switch to switch between the 2 (that's what I'd do). Most people don't bother with dedicated LPG tunes though so unless you've got some evidence that there are 2 different tunes on the chip then you most likely have the stock V8 tune or a modified petrol tune which the LPG also uses (which is also a great way to kill an engine cause LPG timing requirements are different to petrol).
DJ23

Post by DJ23 »

Thanks.. I don't have the gear to check the memcal and don't plan on buying it, as this is a once off build. I'm under the impression there maybe a modified petrol/lpg tune, but the car was a write off when I bought it. Is there someone here that maybe I can send the memcal to so they can check and remove vats etc. obviously willing to compensate the person for their time and effort.

Cheers for the help
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Post by Dylan »

I can help you out pretty easy job. pM if you want. I'm in Vic maybe there's someone local? Post up your location if you want
MAGP
cars: VC V8 sedan, VS V6 wagon, VT V8 Landcruiser.

Post by MAGP »

The thing with petrol and LPG is they have very different timing requirements, what suits petrol most certainly doesn't suit LPG and vice versa. There really is no middle ground tune for petrol and LPG cause it would make both feel as though the engine was either tired or, if it had no knock control, it would ping alot of the time. I'd be willing to suggest if it has been modified it has been modified for petrol and all you'll need to have done is switch VATS off. Take Dylan up on his offer.
DJ23

Post by DJ23 »

Cheers, I've sent you a pm Dylan.