Nvram innovate lm-2 interference

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
maverickpug666
cars: vr ss hsv enhanced

Nvram innovate lm-2 interference

Post by maverickpug666 »

Ok so after installing my $11p nvram and scratching my head for 2 days i found that the lm-2 afr meter can cause interference. I had mine hardwired to the cig port the fix is simple you can use that power wire but must use a body earth well away from the bcm and ecu. Failing to do so throws error codes like no tommorow just a heads up so no one elses has this problem :)
MAGP
cars: VC V8 sedan, VS V6 wagon, VT V8 Landcruiser.

Re: Nvram innovate lm-2 interference

Post by MAGP »

The wiring instructions for the LC-2 , yes I know you are talking about the LM-2 but the principle is the same, recommends using the Battery Negative for Earth. When you changed from a cigarette lighter connection to a hard wire it is best to see how the manufacturer hard wires other, similar, products.
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

I have been using a LM2 with the cig lighter socket for some time and never had a problem. Is it only with the nvram where you get the problem? The reason I ask is I did intend buying a nvram.
maverickpug666

Post by maverickpug666 »

I never used the actual cig lighter attachment i just cut it off and hardwired it i moved the earth this arvo to under my centre console solved that problem also make sure no wires are near the bcm or ecu its an rfi interference when the nvram is connected itll make it throw error codes once i moved everything away from ecu bcm etc the errors went away now my lm-2 lives in my centre console Under the lid. Grab an nvram you wont regret it
maverickpug666

Post by maverickpug666 »

Made my normal memcal have trouble getting bin from flashtool aswell it was my mistake ive only posted so no one else makes the same mistake i did. Nothing wrong with the lm-2 or nvram it was himan error
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

This has come up before and there are other threads but nothing in the faq. I'll add it there when im on a desktop computer. The heater circuit switches rapidly and draws high current so needs to be connected the best power source as possible which means thickest wires, furthest from the computer and if possible battery. If theres lots of data errors and a wideband is active disconnecting its heater power is a quick and easy test if that is the cause.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

Antus will the location of the sensor have an effect? Example if it's well upstream and getting hot enough from the exhaust will it keep switching the voltage on/off or leave it off? I don't know if they can work like a std one does which usually works off a fixed timer circuit.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

It has a temp sensor in it, and runs a PWM circuit to drive the heater, which is why its so electrically noisy. If there is more heat soak from the engine it will need to run a smaller duty cycle on the heater, but because of the PWM high current draw it wont really improve things. It needs a good supply to be able to source high current while causing minimal ripple to other circuits.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

Aside from making sure the power, and almost more importantly ground is solid, a small ferrite on the power lead to the wideband power works well in suppressing noise.

One like this ... https://www.jaycar.com.au/l8-25x15x10mm ... 4/p/LO1234

Wrap the power lead through it a couple of times and it reduces the noise radiated back to the vehicle massively. There are some scope captures on here somewhere of testing i did years ago.