VS V8 series iii tuning help after new cam

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
lowace
cars: 1964 Eh holden and daily series 3 vs 5.0 ute

VS V8 series iii tuning help after new cam

Post by lowace »

Hi all I have started down the exciting path of learning how to tune my ute after doing a cam swap, I have installed the nvram and cable and have successfully made a few changes to the idle speed an idle spark. I am stuck from here on in as I don't yet have a wideband and am unsure if I can make any improvements to the tune while I wait.
Here are the cam specs, this is a standard motor with only pacemaker extractors.
Hydraulic Roller
ADV In 290 EX 297
@50 In 216 EX 220
112 Lobe sep
Lift .308 on both

It feels a bit sluggish at the moment around the 2000 rpm and I know this will be part due to having the larger cam but it feels like it could need some more timing I'm unsure? I do plan on stroking the motor mid next year but hoping to get it running smoother in the meantime.
I have attached a log of a run up my country road, if you expeienced people could please run your eyes over and make some suggestions it would be very much appreciated.
Attachments
First run log.xdl
(152.77 KiB) Downloaded 250 times
Holden202T

Re: VS V8 series iii tuning help after new cam

Post by Holden202T »

can you also post the adx you used for this log ?
lowace

Post by lowace »

This should work 202 thanks for taking the time to have a look.
Attachments
VS_V8_$A6F_Enhanced_v0.82.adx
(113.4 KiB) Downloaded 248 times
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

you really need to get a wideband in there ... not a lot can be done without it, but it certainly looks like its rich enough when your giving it a bit, probably a bit too rich....

also the fuel trims are not showing anything so its hard to get any info from them..... might be worth getting a new narrowband sensor.

with the cam you've got, it will probably want more timing and fuel down low in the revs....

Dylan is a bit of a holden v8 tuning guru, he might be able to give some more pointers.
lowace

Post by lowace »

Thanks for the reply mate I will post the new log when the wideband arrives. I will get a new narrowband as well.
Hopefully Dylan can pipe in when I get the new log up.
lowace

Post by lowace »

Was just looking at the spark tables and was just curious a to what the Low octain spark table is for and if its worth just making it the same as the normal spark tables as I only run 98 octain fuel.
charlay86
cars: VT S1 SS (L67)

Post by charlay86 »

If you are putting 98 in it and everything else is working properly it will be using the high octane table.
Basically the ecu interpolates between the high octane and low octane tables based on how much detonation it detects (this is called adaptive spark).
It's probably better to leave that table alone in case you get some bad fuel, it is a contingency designed to protect your engine.