Idle on stock s3 304 ute

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Re: Idle on stock s3 304 ute

Post by vlad01 »

Smoke machine time.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
The J'rod
cars: Vs V8 series 3 commodore ute

Post by The J'rod »

I assume ls1 MAF's would not work
The J'rod

Post by The J'rod »

If I was to go out and start it, what should the MAF be on, what I'm getting at is if I plug it in to tuner pro , and as soon as I started it the MAF is off the charts or something would this give me an idea if the MAF is stuffed (although it's throwing a fault), and it is the only thing I haven't replaced
The J'rod

Post by The J'rod »

Is there an option of going to mafless like ls1's
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Post by Dylan »

Kalmaker offer that option
brindo

Post by brindo »

I have never had to diagnose this before with Tunerpro, but if you look at the dash screen, the milligrams per cylinder should be at the lower end of the scale, possibly around the 50 to 150 mark. You should be able to compare this to your Injector Rate Constant Vs mg/cyl Vs RPM table to give you a guide.

If you go for a drive and take a log, the MAF frequency should not be erratic and change in relation to rpm and tps.
The1

Post by The1 »

you can remove the maf and just tune open loop only lol
kojab
cars: VT V6 supercharged in a corolla

Post by kojab »

The J'rod wrote:If I was to go out and start it, what should the MAF be on, what I'm getting at is if I plug it in to tuner pro , and as soon as I started it the MAF is off the charts or something would this give me an idea if the MAF is stuffed (although it's throwing a fault), and it is the only thing I haven't replaced
Are you saying the the MAF "IS" throwing a code (Usually Code 32). If so unplug the maf sensor and with ignition on you should have 12V supply on the pink wire which powers the maf sensor.

Also if you have a "Vacuum leak error" does not mean you actually have one. The PCM detects a high idle speed and assumes there is one.
charlay86
cars: VT S1 SS (L67)

Post by charlay86 »

you can get a good idea of if the MAF is working by looking at the MAF frequency.
for example in the V6 code the PCM expects to see a minimum frequency of several hundred Hz, and you might expect to see 2500Hz with the engine running, increasing with load and engine speed.
If the frequency is zero or stays constant there is definitely a problem
The J'rod

Post by The J'rod »

So I'm no closer to sorting this out, I hooked laptop up last night got 3 errors, vacuum leak, knock sensor and MAF.

Hook it up tonight everything clear no faults not even vacuum leak now, which should be good news I suppose, but it was still idling off its head as usual