Idle on stock s3 304 ute

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
The J'rod
cars: Vs V8 series 3 commodore ute

Re: Idle on stock s3 304 ute

Post by The J'rod »

tps is fine (I will check again though), but I did check the volts when I installed it, and when the tps wasn't working properly it threw an engine light, and there is no engine light.
The J'rod

Post by The J'rod »

So are we suggesting a ram reset, how do I do this (is t just in hooking he battery for a while than starting the car)
The J'rod

Post by The J'rod »

I need spell check (unhooking the battery)
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

yeah TPS definitely will throw a CEL light and revs will increase to about 2K iirc. Thats if you forget to install the plastic coupling on the throttle shaft. Done that before.

Do you have tuner pro and a cable to log with? if yes. look firstly at TPS. should be 0% and increase by a couple of % just lightly touching the throttle. If the coupling was missing the % would be 0 for a significant press of the throttle.

If that's ok, start the engine and warm it up to operation temp. let the idle settle to what ever it does. In tuner pro the IAC steps are visible. if its 0 steps then its likely either the throttle stop if open too much, not enough slack in the throttle cable/or sticking basically keeping the throttle open some. Or there is a big vacuum leak.
Now with MAP based systems it will tell you there is a vac leak if its big enough, MAF I have no idea if it would or not?

At stable desired idle speed the steps of the IAC should be from 20 to 30. You can adjust the stop screw on the throttle butterfly until this is achieved at the rpm its meant to do.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

ECU reset isn't going to do crap. There is a physical reason to why its doing this.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Another possibility is the IAC is dead and stuck open. The steps will continue to count as per normal but not necessarily move. The ECU has no way of actually knowing what the position is at other that assumption the 0ing out it does on a reset was physically successful. It does this by driving down for X time and regardless of the initial position by that time it will be seated if nothing is wrong and then from when it stop the procedure and moves upward it starts at 0 and counts up or down accordingly.

If the IAC is dead or stuck then the whole thing is moot and the numbers mean nothing really.
The J'rod

Post by The J'rod »

This is probably a dumb question

In 'items list' in tuner pro if set is written in red does that mean there is an issue with that sensor or what ever it may be.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

yes it does
The J'rod

Post by The J'rod »

ok so vacuum leak is showing up as a fault........even I can work out that there is a fair chance that this is the cause of my idle issue, anybody got any good tricks or tips on finding vacuum leaks as I've replace pretty much every hose around and on the throttle body.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

have you checked to see if the butterfly on the throttle body isn't open excessively? should only be open a hair. virtually look closed.