Lean Idle

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
The1

Re: Lean Idle

Post by The1 »

lowace wrote:Hi guys just wondering if some one could point me in the right direction with the idle on my vs s3 v8 ute, I am using the enhanced code and when its idling warm it tends to sit around the 1.17 lambada which is really quite lean. I have tried changing the fueling in that area on the map and also tried the afr targets on the idle chart but it doesn't seem to change much. Is it worth worrying about it ?
Just tune it back to where it should be via the injector rate table, this is for when it's in closed loop, for startup AFR adjust the idle or open loop target afr's, there is though another few tables i should add for cold startup but those will still do the job. Keep an eye out for a newer xdf.
lowace
cars: 1964 Eh holden and daily series 3 vs 5.0 ute

Post by lowace »

Thanks for the reply The1 I have adjusted the tables with the new XDF you sent and will see how it goes in the morning when its cold. I did notice this morning that when its cold no matter where I set the idle it wont do it, it was saying on the dash target idle was 1200 but was still only around 800rpm is there something else I need to adjust ?
The1

Post by The1 »

i would get the fueling fixed first as it sounds like same issue, otherwise there is "IAC - Motor Park Position During Crank V's CTS" table you can take out IAC steps when colder and see if that helps if it's doing it during or straight after cranking.
lowace

Post by lowace »

No worries thanks I will have a look at that as well. How rich should it be running when cold I was thinking around 12.5 is that about right ?
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

I'd leave all those cold start tables as per the factory settings.

I played with ours on our Calais to try and improve cold start fuel usage but at the end of the day the cold start stuff works well as Holden intended and I went back to it.

On the V6 models cold start depending on the ambient temp will drop down into the 11:1 area but it only stays there for a short period and the AFR decays fairly quickly. I have a pic of a cold start log somewhere I'll see if I can find it.

edit: here it is, you can see it starts at about 11.2:1 but then steadily climbs probably jumping about .5 a ratio every 3-4 seconds
This is for a V6 but the V8 will be very similar.
Last edited by immortality on Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
lowace

Post by lowace »

immortality wrote:I'd leave all those cold start tables as per the factory settings.

I played with ours on our Calais to try and improve cold start fuel usage but at the end of the day the cold start stuff works well as Holden intended and I went back to it.

On the V6 models cold start depending on the ambient temp will drop down into the 11:1 area but it only stays there for a short period and the AFR decays fairly quickly. I have a pic of a cold start log somewhere I'll see if I can find it.
Thanks for the reply mate I would leave it alone but the fact is its running like shit when its cold and wont take throttle until it warms up a little. I never had this issue until I installed the larger cam and the NVRAM for custom tuning so I'm thinking it cant be much that's causing it. I am only new to the tuning side of things so any help is much appreciated. :thumbup:
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

Run a log of a cold start and then look at the target AFR Vs WB02 AFR (actual) that way you can see if it's going rich/lean as you apply throttle when it's cold.
The1

Post by The1 »

As above anywhere down 11:1 give it a try.