Sluggish vp t5 v6

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Re: Sluggish vp t5 v6

Post by vlad01 »

thats not my pic, just some random one of the net. someone has drilled a hole.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
gtrboyy
cars: vp 'moo mang' ute
torana
bombadores

Post by gtrboyy »

Ute has same weird holes.

Luckily went back to exchange cluster for correct level 2 vp version..put my speedo & voltage regulator into new dash so it would work properly from start just no oil light non-genuine switch.

Now concur it is the better dash cluster.

Starting to drive really nicely just some annoying sounds/rattles letting it down.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

just going back to the cam lobe issue.

Here is an ecotec one with exactly the same problem, actually worse than my old engine. Also just the last rear lobe.

I have some ideas. Its either a material/hardening issue or debris being washed down onto the lobe from the valley drain hole which happens to be exactly above the lobe and the engine slopes back, so all or most of the drains onto the lobe. If there is wear debris and other contamination that could possibly land on the cam and get mashed between the roller and the lobe, but since the roller is nearly always perfect I would think is a combo of this and material/processing issues.

Would be interesting to see if a FWD yank tank would have both "front" and "rear" lobes like this or just rear like I have seen?
IMG_1915.JPG
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
gtrboyy
torana
bombadores

Post by gtrboyy »

Ute is still alive...gone back to full time work so it's spending most of it's time up & down the m5 or trapped in the tunnel at peak hours.

So far it's best mileage has been 450km out of tank of 98 after new plugs & coil pack.

Got few days off hopefully changed brake pads,adjust clutch again & replace radiator that has cracked at thermofan mounts.

Anyone know where to get o-ring for pcv valve?

Mine was split ladt time cleaned it & Holden,Earls & couple of shops I asked don't have it.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

CBC bearings. It will cost you about 15c each.
gtrboyy
torana
bombadores

Post by gtrboyy »

Cool will pay them a visit mon/tues.

Got festy speedo corrector,3.45 gears ready to go just undecided on using vp ute diff or getting vk-l wagon diff & mini-tub the sloot when it retires from daily duties.
gtrboyy
torana
bombadores

Post by gtrboyy »

Got another daily so ute will be more of a back up daily & house reno duties...thinking of some d.i.y modding like 4.11 diff or nos kit...my 355 sle wont be ready untill next year.

Anyone got times on what manual v6 will run with 4.11's or nos kit?
v6bucket

Post by v6bucket »

4.11 gears in a VP sedan was 9.2sec on the 1/8th which is 14.3 on the 1/4, can't remember the mph.
"Definition of a Drag Racer: A person who spends money he doesn't have on parts he doesn't need to impress people he doesn't know." - Grumpy Jenkins----- Poverty---
gtrboyy
torana
bombadores

Post by gtrboyy »

I'd be impressed if this went 14.9 tbh.

Still got bit more weight to take out of it,rig up better airbox & maybe find some gumtree pacemakers for it.

Gets 400km per tank with junk in the tray then 450km wih all gear taken out which is pretty decent for Sydney driving.
gtrboyy
torana
bombadores

Post by gtrboyy »

Been using ute a little for house reno...brakes are in decent condition,fine for normal driving unloaded BUT with a loaded tray you'd think it has no brakes.

It's got the bigger discs being 1993 model...what are good pads or budget brake mods to improve this thing?