Sluggish vp t5 v6

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Re: Sluggish vp t5 v6

Post by vlad01 »

I have had good experience with extreme clutch's extra HD v8 one in my VR v6. It's organic and good for daily operation and because it was meant for V8 with 450HP range it is adequate for v6 with harsh use/conditions.

Only down side is it's pedal feel is weird, doesn't have that nice pop at the end of the travel and rather gets heavier the further you push the pedal.

If I was to do it again I would of gone to NPC race clutches and got them to spec me a good organic based clutch in the same sort of HP range.

Imho with all this clutch rate specs, it's bs, double or triple the rating of what your engine actually makes and it will be reliable daily and not just for a couple of outings, because street/city driving is far more abusing on the clutch than actually racing the car and is especially true in Sydney or Melbourne where the average traffic speed is less than the car will idle in 1st.

I highly recommenced NPC and tell them what you do with the ute and the driving conditions, they will match a clutch to suit.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
v6bucket

Post by v6bucket »

Talk to these blokes, I think they'll get you what you need & probably be better priced than a cheap clutch in a pretty box from the larger chain stores.
www.westernclutch.com.au
"Definition of a Drag Racer: A person who spends money he doesn't have on parts he doesn't need to impress people he doesn't know." - Grumpy Jenkins----- Poverty---
gtrboyy
cars: vp 'moo mang' ute
torana
bombadores

Post by gtrboyy »

Ok bit of an update after ute sat in driveway for months it became a breeding ground for redbacks haha

Can't rember if mentioned but bought vs v8 auto setup,radiator all way through to tailshaft $1100 last year from Pick & Payless

Finally got auto back shiftkit.corvette sevo,boost valve etc then deemed in good health by auto dude so picked it & next day 8am started v8 conversion on footpath..tried to do early crossmember,vk manual rack but no intermediate shaft & lost a day mucking around so ripped apart put late model crossmember with old vp rack.

Started getting dark just as got engine in...sketchy as way having engine/auto on engine hoist high up in air then rolled car into place lowering engine...landscapers still not finished backyard so laid square patch of pavers for hoist to stay on.

Got ute about 80% done...1/2 way through matching/modding vp v6 harness to vs v8 harness ...lots of small silly differences that is taking up time to get right.

Trying to keep it under 2k budget so using all the junk collected over the years sitting in sheds lol
gtrboyy
torana
bombadores

Post by gtrboyy »

Finally got the ute started tonight...wiring side of it matching vs v8 to vp was way more work & motivation than expected...still got a lot more work to get it decent

It's punching up a bunch of codes 66,81,82 but hoping it just needs wire for trans solenoid wired up to ignition source.

Also got vl manual rack + vl intermediate shaft...tried to use early crossmember & but would need longer/custom intermediate shaft as vh/k manual rack has shorter steering shaft to vl manual rack

No aircon or powersteer or anything it doesn't need to make it lighter yet still roadworthy...
gtrboyy
torana
bombadores

Post by gtrboyy »

Been driving this a little bit...goes really well for & feels responsive what it is.

It does smell rich on coldstarts & has shocking 20ltr-25ltr/100km fuel economy...no codes come up,changed coolant temp sensor & 02 sensor which helped although still shocking economy.

Engine/auto was previously lpg setup with small cam + come memcal which is why I thought junk extractors were heavily sooted up.

Lost as to what to check next other than fuel pressure & possible vacuum leaks.

Need to buy all the gear to start data logging etc...understand the basics but after that it goes straight over my head.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

yep you really need data logging to even have a chance here i think.
gtrboyy
torana
bombadores

Post by gtrboyy »

Yeah realising that just reluctant to take next step as know will find it hard to learn without seeing someone actually do it in front of me.

Will put money in next week to order what I need to datalog etc although might contact the tuner to see if he can do quick scan.

Hooked up an ALDL in glovebox...cleaned up/sanded earths to engine block still seems same.

Did notice on coldstart it idles 900rpm same as if it was operating temp....fuel lines pulse like a mofo louder than when it had the v6,using same fuel dampener.....seems strange but think I heard the fuel tank (3/4 full) pop twice today on short drive to jaycar
gtrboyy
torana
bombadores

Post by gtrboyy »

This thing is currently doing daily duties...best so far 13ltr/100km mix of 50km/h suburb driving or m5 peak hour...added extra earth to wiring harness from engine block,still smells rich.

Got sv8 to fix then can get back into this January after buy laptop then learn how to log etc.

Probably fit 1 5/8 pacies & go twin cats...if coin is there maybe Mace airbox,transcooler + 3.45/lsd fitted
gtrboyy
torana
bombadores

Post by gtrboyy »

Got this weighed other day after tip run...with full tank of gas 1350kgs.

Can get another 50kgs out of it although getting it to 1250kgs should be 13's territory with basic mods.

Car is so quiet hard for people to know it's v8.