Sluggish vp t5 v6

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
HQ355
cars: HQ Holden

Re: Sluggish vp t5 v6

Post by HQ355 »

Is Vlad forest ?
Attachments
IMG_1448.JPG
IMG_1448.JPG (114.83 KiB) Viewed 6052 times
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

HAHA LOL.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
yoda69
cars: 2004 VYII Acclaim Wagon V6 Auto LPG/Petrol
2004 VYII Berlina sedan V6 Auto
2005 VZ Monaro CV8 manual

Post by yoda69 »

Brilliant :lol: :lol:
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Well the core seems soft enough, took a fair belting and just bent nothing else.

IMG_1820.JPG

The interesting part was giving the lobes a tap with a hammer on the corner.

lobes towards the middle, they chipped slightly around the edges of the dent, in a sort of chunking off fashion.

IMG_1819.JPG
The problematic lobes, it crumbled on impact in a flaking fashion. Seems like a case hardening issue? too thin? or perhaps grain of the cast steel isn't right for the hardening process used. No sure as Im not a qualified metallurgist but I got some idea that there is an issue here.
IMG_1818.JPG
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

Savage. ...

That lobe has been hammered a fair bit by the lifter which may have fatigued the metal. Looking at the pic you can see the hardening on top which looks ok but underneath looks shit.

It would be good to get a proper opinion, anybody know any metallurgists?
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Hey Vlad, could you cut the bad lobe in half with a grinder so as we can see a cross section of what has happened? Might show hardening thickness and how soft the underlying material is?
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

I'm thinking of grinding one side off and then etching with acid to show up the grain/crystalline structure to have a better look.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

immortality wrote:Savage. ...

That lobe has been hammered a fair bit by the lifter which may have fatigued the metal. Looking at the pic you can see the hardening on top which looks ok but underneath looks shit.

It would be good to get a proper opinion, anybody know any metallurgists?
Well I hit it on an area where the roller hadn't contacted so I'm sure its just they are made pretty average.

I don't think there is much point getting it check out professionally, just rebuild the engine with bigger and better cam :thumbup:

A point to make is how many engine in the day when these were pretty new has this? Not many I don't think and honestly you can't tell there is a problem externally and will continue to run for many 10,000s and 100,000s km. Its more the extreme cases due to hard use and lot of Ks where bits of metal gets drawn through the oil pump damaging it. All in all I think its rather slow progress looking at a variety of engines so far.
gtrboyy
cars: vp 'moo mang' ute
torana
bombadores

Post by gtrboyy »

Knew xr8 were nothing special but did think it would have to be fubar'd to get beat by this ute haha

Ute spat out metal pipe that goes into water pump...sprayed it's guts out over whole engine bay.

Not sure if water pipe goes over top of p/steer line but that's how it was so put it back that way.

Water pipe bracket behind or in front p/steer line bracket?
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

I'm not suggesting paying anyone to look at it but it would be good to get a more definitive answer.

It seems strange that only a couple of lobes have issues.