Sluggish vp t5 v6

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
gtrboyy
cars: vp 'moo mang' ute
torana
bombadores

Re: Sluggish vp t5 v6

Post by gtrboyy »

Temp guage is somehow working after it's exorcist trick...hopefully last more than 1-2 days this time.

Put spare ecu with ATFY 4410 memcal then took it for 20min drive to supercrap

Rougher idle,can almost smell it although must say it does sound/rev better & nicer part throttle/low revs for roundabouts & traffic lights...has touch more mid range but lots of holes in mapping.

Other memcal that came with ute was smoother idle,good economy but too lean/rough part throttle/low revs also didn't rev as clean as ATFY memcal

Both memcals not quite right althought ute has come a long way in 2-3 months so far.
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

They don't go great with a vn memcal
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
gtrboyy
torana
bombadores

Post by gtrboyy »

Yeah tad rougher with vn memcal...probably get it re-written & put stb memcal back in.

Few other niggling things left on list to fix...wonky driver's seat,rooflining,windscreen
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

regarding stock cams coming apart.

One is another engine I did not own during use, one is my VP, the one with super clean insides. Certainly not an oil issue. Lifter rollers were perpect in that one, but they just squished down, hydraulics were stuffed.
IMG_1817.JPG
IMG_2594.JPG
IMG_2595.JPG
IMG_2604.JPG
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

The worst thing for a roller follower is lifting off the lobe. I'd suggest it's not so much a lifter/cam problem but idiots limiter bashing or over revving with tired valve springs.

edit:looking at that cam journal i'd say it's had something crap circulating in the oil too.
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

Soft springs on a roller smashes the tops of the lobes was a brand of aftermarket cams did this real bad for 6 months of sale too people were pissed lol
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
gtrboyy
torana
bombadores

Post by gtrboyy »

Agree that looks more like soft springs with tons of limiter bashing.

It looks like centre punch marks.

On a strange note ute somehow chopped a ba xr8...funny as hell.
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

I think Vlad's dirty little secret is out, he loves to limiter bash :driving:
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

immortality wrote:I think Vlad's dirty little secret is out, he loves to limiter bash :driving:

I never limiter bash, why would I trying to accelerate? only a handful of times when I jumped a gear with a sticky clutch cable.

The one thats really bad is a 400k engine that came out of a vacationer wagon I bought for parts, it did appear to have had shit go through the oil, most likely the cam lobe lol. The crank has marks in it so I got a new crank and used that engine as a basis for the new one going in the red VP.

The other one in the pic looks bad but actually was smooth as butter to the finger and finger nail, just looks bad as it was mid summer bright sun reflecting microscopic fine marks. That was abused like hell that engine. Had it from 80k to well over 300k and flogged every opportunity I got. Delco has a point, with weak springs wouldn't help the situation but I found in about 5 engines only those lobes to ever have damage, sometimes when the rear 2 are really bad the first front one starts to show pitting.

I 100% put my money on a metallurgical issue with the cam as for those exact same reason, also this issue is not seen with billet cams nor any ecotec stock cam. I have a number of them with no issues, one that had the same abuse as mine, longer service interval 355k and even broke valve springs.

You have to take note the stock cams for buick are made from shit cast steel and historically had some issues, even things like them snapping.

I has one engine that has a major failure and the crown separated and knocked into the valves, very slightly bending them, visually hard to pick but installed you did see about a half mm opening one side. Well the cam, holy shit! that blew off a massive chunk of both lobes in exactly the same spot relative to the rotational degrees where the valve contact happen, the piston had 2 small marks. So out of the whole fight of all those parts contacting the cam lobe lost in a big way. lifters were still perfect.

I'm curious to see if I can smash a cam lobe with a hammer? :think: or maybe shoot it?
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

gtrboyy wrote:Agree that looks more like soft springs with tons of limiter bashing.

It looks like centre punch marks.

On a strange note ute somehow chopped a ba xr8...funny as hell.
Nothing strange there. stock xr8 are slow as shit, used to regularly beat them on the Keillor park drive on ramp north bound Calder. They have that dumb 3 lanes into one and traffic lights.