Sluggish vp t5 v6

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
gtrboyy
cars: vp 'moo mang' ute
torana
bombadores

Sluggish vp t5 v6

Post by gtrboyy »

Hey guys,

Got 1993 vp v6 t5 ute...all standard & slowly rebuilding damn thing as it has every vn-p quirk/fault.

It's good on fuel,doesn't seem to use water or oil apart from sump gasket leak...engine & t5 probably been freshened up at some stage.

It even seems to idle ok for buick BUT is rather noisey mechanically when pop bonnet.

Could all the harmonics be setting off knock sensor be the reason why it's a slug?
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Re: Sluggish vp t5 v6

Post by vlad01 »

Yes it will be false knock. In my old vp which was also t5 went from 9.5 sec to 100 down to 7 sec flat after disabling knock retard. I found this to be the case with every v6 car I've owned and worked on.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

Fix the noises.....

New engine mounts, double row timing chain & rip out the balance shaft.

MY old VN was doing under 7 sec 0-100 and I never disabled the knock sensor :)

Probably the best mod I did for the engine was a new harmonic balancer, I ditched that OEM POS and fitted a Powerbond race balancer. With all these mods the engine was smoother than it was stock.
MAGP
cars: VC V8 sedan, VS V6 wagon, VT V8 Landcruiser.

Post by MAGP »

immortality wrote:With all these mods the engine was smoother than it was stock.
It wouldn't have to be much smoother than to be smoother than stock. The Buick in the VN-VR was a shocker for NVH.
immortality

Post by immortality »

Yep it was, VN was probably the worst. Mine had a weird vibe at about 2000rpm where the rear view mirror would vibrate and the clutch fork would hit the bellhousing. It really was quiet amazing the difference a proper balancer makes even without the balance shaft fitted and non oil filled rubber mounts.
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

And what about the driveshaft alignment to fix vibrations. Boy what a sloppy job that one was.
Holden didn't make a V6 it was a very successful vibration 6.
immortality

Post by immortality »

Never really had any issues with it on the VN even when it was lowered. VS was another story though.....
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

The issue is the VN-VR knock filter and system in general didn't have much smarts in the ability to differentiate other noises from real knock. I found that real knock often doesn't trigger it but other normal engines and unrelated noises do, the whole thing is pretty much moot in my experience.

I found in the VR wheel spin seem to trigger it. Traction control anyone? lol
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Charlescrown wrote:And what about the driveshaft alignment to fix vibrations. Boy what a sloppy job that one was.
Holden didn't make a V6 it was a very successful vibration 6.
Thats the best thing about them :thumbup: love that decel compression vibration. makes the mirrors go blurry :lol: Makes you realize you are actually driving a car with an engine not an electric eat beater as are modern cars.
gtrboyy
cars: vp 'moo mang' ute
torana
bombadores

Post by gtrboyy »

It's fairly smooth for a buick...much better with new mounts & seems to be in decent condition despite being noisey bugger when popping the bonnet.

Gradually getting through the faults although expected much more bottom end torque from it especially if going to throw couple of engines in tray or 500kgs-750kgs of gravel etc & wonder if it will make it up hills.

Funnily enough gives vn-vp bad reputation in the rain...it hooks up haha