VS V8 VATS Remove and engine swap

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
norm426
cars: Too Many!

VS V8 VATS Remove and engine swap

Post by norm426 »

Hi All

This query is very similar to another post titled "VS V8 VATS remove" by capper,

I have a VS 5ltr auto out of a series II statesman which i have put into a WB tonner. The car is running and the engine is fine but it wont change gears, when drive is selected it goes into 3rd and thats it. It takes off in third and stays there all the time. I can manually select all the gears although id wont go into fourth.

I took it to a trans shop and he put a bypass loom into the cab from the trans and we drove around with it all working fine.

I have the moates APU1 package and the original memcal was $83 BWFU0310

I have managed to clear the VATS checkbox and as i metioned the engine starts and runs a treat.

The trans guy reckons the ecu is in limp mode, thereby causing the trans not to shift. He suggested that the ecu is waiting for a signal from the original BCM. He advises that the VS would exhibit the same problems if it had both reverse light outs or he has seen the park/neutral switch also cause the trans not to shift. It sounds like the ecu is looking for an "all ok" from the bcm.

So i thought i would try a VR series bin and i have loaded $11 BMZF, which as i understand does not look for the BCM

BMZF made no difference and it still wont change gears.

I read another post regarding the checksum causing the ecu to go into limp mode, as such I have tried to set the checksum to AA on both bin but no joy.

I have hooked up the check light but that doenst indicate any thing, i have also tried resetting the ecu as discussed in another post, I have swapped out the ecu with no result.

Any ideas? I'm stressed!

PS: I dont have a scan tool, i have ordered one online and it should be hereby the weekend i hope, but that raises another question while i am here; does anyone know if the moates CABL2 is the correct cable for the VS odb II plug and APU1?
Cheers
jezza351
cars: vr ss comodooree

Re: VS V8 VATS Remove and engine swap

Post by jezza351 »

hi mate is it possible to post up the tune you are using and let us have a look? if you can post up the original file from the computer.
norm426

Post by norm426 »

Hi jezza

Thanks for the reply

The original memcal was BWFU0310, i read the chip and compared it the same BWFU.bin from this site, it compared OK.

I downloaded and used the 83HoldenVS_V8_v2.xdf file also from this site.

After that i downloaded BMZF.bin and "$11 - GM Holden VR Auto Commodore VersionE.xdf" also from this site

BWFU0310-orig is the orginal read from the ecu, engine wont start
BWFU0310 is the downloaded file
BWFU_no-vats is my modification, the engine starts and runs fine, no cel etc
BMZF_no-vats is my modification, the engine starts and runs fine, no cel etc
BMZF is the downloaded file

Cheers
Attachments
Upload.rar
(147.88 KiB) Downloaded 414 times
jezza351

Post by jezza351 »

ok mate give this file a try and burn it straight onto the chip dont open it in tunerpro until after you have burnt it in case you have imported checksum on and are not sure how to get rid of it.
Attachments
BWFU0310-orig2.bin
(64 KiB) Downloaded 531 times
norm426

Post by norm426 »

Hey Jezza, you da man!

Let me know where your local bottleshop is and i make sure there is a box of your favorite beverage there for ya to pickup at your leisure.

Thanks so much.

I dont have reg, just a permit, so i only went about 1km and it didnt get warmed up, but it started off in 1st, then 2nd and finally 3rd.

Althought the idle is at 1200rpm and the shifts are at 3k, but no worries, i think it got a little better just as i pulled back in my driveway. I'll take it for a full run around in the morning.

You have done in an hour what i couldn't get done in about 50hrs!

Cheers

Be sure to advise your local
jezza351

Post by jezza351 »

good to hear mate, as for the idle and 3grand shifts may need to recheck connections , throttle position that sorta thing possibly. is the motor stock? i wont rob ya of a beer mate happy to help out when i started out i got help aswell from sources including this site so returning the favour i guess :thumbup:
norm426

Post by norm426 »

Jezza

Thanks again, i understand the starting out part, i like to try and work it out before asking, i have read alot of this forum in the past week and all the dialog is very helpful. I have searched around alot of other forums but this one has quality above all the others i been thru.

The engine is a complete hook out of a vs statesman, dead stock with 90k's on it, fan to t/shaft, loom, ecu, acc's etc. Even the engine bay loom, fuses etc. So it was an easy install and apart from the vats, i thought i would be fine. I reckon the idle and shifts are down to two issues. The idle will learn itself once i run it for a bit. I have had the same experience in my vt. The shifts will be down to the diff ratio.

I'll let you know how it goes tommorow

Cheers
norm426

Post by norm426 »

OK

The ecu is done!, the top is screwed on and it's been put away, fantastic.

Just some feedback for the post to sum up.

I changed the Pulse/Km to suit my diff and the shift pattern is all good. With this though, the original setting was 299.66, i changed it to 350.00 and burnt the bin to the eprom, all good in the car but tunerpro still reports the field as 299.66. So it makes me think that the checksum disable was doing similar. Am i missing something with how to save the bin? I cant work it out cos i had loaded the saved bin to the PROM I/O tool and it works in the car. I have tried to change other parameters which change the car but are not coming up in tunerpro. The attached bin works fine in the car but shows 299.66 in the "KSPDSENA: Road speed params - Speed sensor constant Pulses/Kilometre" field. Can some one tell me if the field shows 350 on their setup? This bin is a standard vs series ii 5ltr with no vats and a 3.55 diff.

The idle speed was fixed by my ignorance. I had a memcal base from a vs v6, which i was using to swap prom's back a forward with, i have take the knock board out and for all intents it worked ok, but it set the idle to 1500, the same eprom in the vs v8 memcal base sets the idle to "all good", just a tip for ignorant newbies i suppose.

Thanks to jezza351 and this forum for getting this project complete.

Cheers
Attachments
BWFU0310-orig3.bin
(64 KiB) Downloaded 350 times
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

shows up as 299 for me....
Dec_head
cars: VR Calais

Post by Dec_head »

That is an odd one i just tried changing the ppk on that bin with the 83 xdf and it doesn't work changes aren't saved