OBD1 / ALDL Port wiring 424

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
h4x0r

OBD1 / ALDL Port wiring 424

Post by h4x0r »

Doing a 304 conversion and have a 424. I'm trying to wire in the OBD1 Port.

I have had to cut the obd port out of the huge mess of wiring but now im trying to solder it back in to the computer.

Pin1 = White/Blue. Unknown
Pin5 = Black. Connects to car ground?
Pin6 = White/Black connects to D6 ECU Diagnostic Test Enable

Pin9 = Red connects to C11 ECU Primary Serial Data.
Pin12 = Blue. Unknown
Pin13 = Brown. Unknown
Pin16 = Orange. Connects to car +12v?

According to the newbie guide am I right to assume I only need to connect Pin9 to computer, Pin16 to +12v and Pin5 to -12v earth of the car? I must be wrong because I can't get my new OBD cable to connect via tunerpro r/t.
Last edited by h4x0r on Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dazza92VP
cars: 92 VP V8 Wagon

Re: OBD1 / ALDL Port wiring 424

Post by Dazza92VP »

Only need pin 9 to c11 and pin 6 to d6 doesn't hurt to add the 12v and the ground pins in just I case you have to use some other bit of tech gear in an emergency
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

There are 2 grounds, one for power and one for data (as the power ground can have interference present, though usually its not a problem - most noise is typically on the power). Some tools use one ground or the other, most connect them together. If you have connected one and the interface is on the other then no joy. Of course need compatible software on the pcm and tunerpro, but I assume you have that sorted.

I agree about connecting +12v, many tools that connect to the port use it as a power source. Our ALDL interfaces power from the PC so the com port doesnt disappear if you shut off the car.

Also, ALDL is usually considered OBD 1.5 if you googling the subject.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
h4x0r

Post by h4x0r »

Thank you for the answer! Looks like I have it wired correctly then.

I'm using the 11p files written by vl400. When I click the 'acquire data connect/disconnect' button it just flashes 'DA Connecting / DA Data Error' Whilst counting errors each time. It says it can connect to the com port in preferences ok. Now what is wrong?
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

What is running on the pcm? Got the right echo setting for your interface? Does your interface work?
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
h4x0r

Post by h4x0r »

antus wrote:What is running on the pcm? Got the right echo setting for your interface? Does your interface work?
I used the 11p bin with 2bar map sensor. Thats all I have changed. I tested the C11 and D6 pinout reading 5v. I tried using some other default ADX listed for this series holden and they just say Trying to connect. The 11p adx is the only one that constantly reconnects with errors. Lots of forum posts with the 'add pause' solution so I experimented there but the 11p adx already has them. Got my cable setup off ebay so I will try it on a friends factory car and make sure it works.
h4x0r

Post by h4x0r »

I tested my ebay cable and software on a mates car and it worked perfectly. Now im suspicious the delco is not setup properly. Either my memcal is not working or my wiring is incorrect. Got another ecu on order to try out.
h4x0r

Post by h4x0r »

I got the car running with OBD working thanks to the help here. I ended up taking my obd cable and laptop to a friends car and tested it to work ok. So I ordered another memcal with the moates adapter for my pcm and it connected straight away. The car even started and ran flawlessly with 11p chip.

I confirm you only need two wires connected to the obd as above and the earth. Im not sure if the other wires are useful for anything else yet as this was the starting point.

Working setup: