E55 bench harness

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
80gus

E55 bench harness

Post by 80gus »

VZ E55, I've been playing with trying to get a VZ e55 bench harness to work with no success, I suspect the ecu is faulty, or more than likely i have made an error somewhere, can anybody confirm this so i can correct it test and post up for others to use. (IF YOUR READING THIS THE FOLLOWING DRAWING IS NOT CONFIRMED WORKING)

With the E55 is the only earth point the actual frame for the ecu? as i cant see one in the pinout.

This is where I've sourced the pinout, and here is what i have come up with

download/file.php?id=13876
Attachments
VZ E55 Bench harness.png
VZ E55 Bench harness.png (70.09 KiB) Viewed 6263 times
ar5boosted
cars: Renault Scenic
Commodore VZ SV6

Re: E55 bench harness

Post by ar5boosted »

You could connect Pin 4/5 on the ODB-II connector.

Actually it's generally pretty easy to figure out the ground plane on most pcb's with a multimeter.

The ground plane on any pcb usually connects to the mounting screws.

There will always be a ground connector or multiple ground connectors on the pin header.

Run a multimeter to find the ground pins (0-resistance) from the pcb holding screws, then visually check that those pins run to the ground plane.
Antwon
cars: vx ss. 80 series daily, vk ls1 (project)

Post by Antwon »

FOR my bench harness I just have an alligator clip that clips the frame u may be able to use a sensor ground but not sure if it would handle the high current those ecus draw. Taz has played with them a fair bit he might be able to shed some light on how he's harness is done
hsv08
cars: (EX) VT SENATOR 355 STROKER
(EX) VT SS 304 MANUAL
NOW VX V6 HACK

Post by hsv08 »

What you need is a PIM to be connected. My bench harness has 4 wires connected to the ecu plug. And the the gmlan wired back to the pim then to OBD, have a look for a intergeated systems file for the VZ which will show what wires need connecting to what.

Without PIM or custom tools you won't get coms from the ecm
80gus

Post by 80gus »

hsv08 wrote:What you need is a PIM to be connected. My bench harness has 4 wires connected to the ecu plug. And the the gmlan wired back to the pim then to OBD, have a look for a intergeated systems file for the VZ which will show what wires need connecting to what.

Ok thanks, so thats where I went wrong, first time i've had an ecu i couldnt read without as a standalone. So is there any chance anybody has a VZ pim pinout, if i can get that data ill rework the tester and test, and rework the drawing.
80gus

Post by 80gus »

80gus wrote:
hsv08 wrote:What you need is a PIM to be connected. My bench harness has 4 wires connected to the ecu plug. And the the gmlan wired back to the pim then to OBD, have a look for a intergeated systems file for the VZ which will show what wires need connecting to what.

Ok thanks, so thats where I went wrong, first time i've had an ecu i couldnt read without as a standalone. So is there any chance anybody has a VZ pim pinout, if i can get that data ill rework the tester and test, and rework the drawing.
2 second google and look where i find it PCM Hacking!!
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3975
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Post by Dylan »

There's wiring on here somewhere from VL400 for an LS1 PIM not sure how compatible that'll be though
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Thanks for posting the link, 80gus. As every page could be a landing page from the search engines im sure people looking for that info will land here and being able to follow the link will keep it findable.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Post by Tazzi »

Ah, I can read VZ V6 standalone on my bench setup?

You may need to throw in another terminating resistor to keep it all happy, I think the PIM actually does that which may be why it helps on bech setups.

As for standard communication, VZ V6 ecu can be setup as standalone :)

*Edit
If playing around with tech2, it looks for the PIM for anything security related usually so that is also another reason for it!
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
80gus

Post by 80gus »

Tazzi wrote:Ah, I can read VZ V6 standalone on my bench setup?

You may need to throw in another terminating resistor to keep it all happy, I think the PIM actually does that which may be why it helps on bech setups.

As for standard communication, VZ V6 ecu can be setup as standalone :)

*Edit
If playing around with tech2, it looks for the PIM for anything security related usually so that is also another reason for it!
ok i've tried it with termination resistor as well still with no luck, i am convinced the ecu is faulty, i pulled it of a running vehicle but was told it sometimes wouldn't start.