MAF Location?

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
L67PSI
cars: L67 VT Calais

MAF Location?

Post by L67PSI »

Hi guys,

I'm mocking up a mace style cold air intake enclosure and wondering if MAF can be inside box, or better suited closer to throttle?
Car is a VT L67.

Cheers
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Re: MAF Location?

Post by vlad01 »

Close to the throttle is best for least delay, but the delay would be in ms time scale so I doubt it would be noticeable.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

What about heat soak?
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

They are heated wire and have a temp diode? so that automatically accommodates in temp differences in the air stream.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

You dont want air vibrations from the valves causing air to cross the wire twice and be double counted. Observing if this is happening is hard if not impossible but its worth keeping in mind. Thats why factory intakes often have wierd looking bulbs hanging off the side of them. They are tuned to absorb those vibrations. In practice though, this probably wont be a problem.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

antus wrote:You dont want air vibrations from the valves causing air to cross the wire twice and be double counted. Observing if this is happening is hard if not impossible but its worth keeping in mind. Thats why factory intakes often have wierd looking bulbs hanging off the side of them. They are tuned to absorb those vibrations. In practice though, this probably wont be a problem.
Didn't someone on this forum have issues with the MAF readings when MAF was right in front of the TB? I just can't seem to remember whom it was.

I remember that many moons ago a guy on the JC forum (greenfoam) was experimenting with a split plenum manifold on a 3800 V6, he did this by cutting the standard manifold almost in half and welding in a alloy plate to separate the plenum into 2. It made a horrendous racket when it was fired up because the alloy plate was quiet thin and the harmonics inside the intake manifold seemed to be flexing the separator plate.