Holden 304 with whipple going lean

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
mark1200r

Holden 304 with whipple going lean

Post by mark1200r »

HI All,

My first post so please go easy. Very New to Tuning, not to performance.

I have fitted a whipple to a basically stock spec 304, and while running a 2 bar tune the closed loop is leaning the mixture when it is running lean. It's doing the exact opposite to what I would have expected the trim to do. In open loop it runs spot on to the program, and runs great.

Has anyone experienced this before? Everything else is almost spot on in the tune, but this is baffling me.

Any help would be great..

Cheers
Mark
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Re: Holden 304 with whipple going lean

Post by immortality »

Probably going to need a little more info.

What ECU/PCM/tune (model etc).
mark1200r

Post by mark1200r »

To the best of my knowledge,

Holden Delco Stock ECU

Has done it both with another tune BPYS Memcal, and now using 11p but not with the original Memcal when car was in stock form.

1996 VS Series 1, 304 stock, never modified previously, 4L60e Auto with shift kit.

Added Yella terra Whipple, intercooled,, deka 60lb injectors, gs342 walbro fuel pump and mild crow cam.

Without the supercharger, running the stock memcal, the learn block function worked fine.

Cheers
Mark
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Post by Dylan »

Posts log mate, if it's pulling fuel then the O2 reading must be reading low.
mark1200r

Post by mark1200r »

Hi Dylan,

That's my problem that, the O2 is reading low ( Lean ), and pulling fuel out at the same time, which then is stored in the learn blocks.

The further the car is driven the leaner it gets.

I will grab a log and post as soon as I can, I just don't have them ATM.

Cheers
Mark
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

That sounds pretty strange. A log will tell all. Can only offer general advice at this stage. Check for error codes, etc, but even with an error I wouldnt expect it lean out while reading lean. A log would show what the computer is trying to do and why, and can take it from there.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
mark1200r

Post by mark1200r »

Well after all it turned out to be the O2 sensor, The biggest issue has been that it would show the same as the wideband on the log during a run however there was no switching present. I'm thinking that I didn't have enough run time through a set of ceramic coated headers prior to reinstalling the sensor.

Cheers
Mark