Aftermarket knock detector?

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
h4x0r

Aftermarket knock detector?

Post by h4x0r »

Is there an aftermarket knock detector module anyone can recommend to use with my '424 powered 304?
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Re: Aftermarket knock detector?

Post by antus »

Festy made one but I think sourcing it is hard as one of the components are no longer available. You would be better off sourcing a stand alone system or a set of knock ears. I personally have not done this but perhaps someone who has can comment.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

knock ears are the way to go as the human brain is many order of magnitude better at recognizing and deciphering patterns and info in sound where electronics just bins the sounds based on some thresholds and frequency which many other souses can create and also easily miss true knock which both are can't be any more true for the factory knock detection system. It really is terrible as telling the difference and most of the time does get it wrong in my experience.

I vote hands down on knock ears. Some of the good ones also have a digital tunable filter so you can get visual/digital indication on top of the audio of the headphones.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
jenko
cars: hilux v6
jaguar v12
mitsubishi lancer
fj cruiser
sv 21 camry wagon

Post by jenko »

I made one for phone viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5546
seems to work well you can also use mic in on laptop and headphones in aux speaker out using sound recorder
h4x0r

Post by h4x0r »

Shame the festy one isn't available. I might try the jenko setup before I start spending money. A mate also mentioned "knocklink".