Engine light/fault codes, comms with 3rd party interface

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
Wade
cars: Vr 5.0 statesman vr exec 5.0 turbo vy clubsport

Re: Egine light on and fault codes after NVRAM install

Post by Wade »

Cheers vlad01 learn something new every day. Makes sense as to why you need to re-burn a nvram when changing os
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Yeah its a great tool. I have used it to update mine a couple of times, 12Pv110 to v111 and the final one of v112 all without having to manually copy paste table/scalar values.

Since the OS code is critical to the operation of the ECU and connectivity/communication if the OS code corrupts it basically bricks the system so its logical that TP doesn't over write the OS as the OS is literally what allows it to talk real time and it stops functioning then the whole thing breaks down.

This is why having a universal programmer is essential as it will allow you to rewrite the NVRAM module manually in case of corruption, also great for the final EEPROM. I have corrupted my whole NVRAM once so its definitely handy to have.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Wade

Post by Wade »

Ah so what your saying is, I can use flash tool to change os on the nvram. But if for what ever reason I was to corrupt the nvram I’d still need to reburn. I thought that if changing os it would require a re-burn, but if flash tool can do it, makes things a lot quicker and easier
Wade

Post by Wade »

The migrate cal feature sounds sweet too. I’ve never used that feature or even questioned why it was there. But now I know. If your completely changing the os I’d think it won’t work though? Will only work if your changing between updated versions of the original os?
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

NO! You can not do that. Its a feature VL400 designed for 11P and 12P. You can update 11P to a different version of 11P or 12P to a different version of 12P in place. You CAN NOT do this on the PCM NVRAM / Enhanced code, which you would be running as a VS Series 3.

Tunerpro is designed to do the whole bin, but as an optimization I made Oseplugin only upload and download the calibration area by default (which speeds the initial download up immensely if you want whats on the car in tunerpro as a starting point). You can go to the oseplugin options and uncheck "read cal area only" then hit download to read more.

But.... The next gotcha... I dont think this is possible for the bins > 64k due to the bank switching.

That all said and done... if you do a get bin and post it up we'll know how much data that pulled. It'll definitely include the calibration which we are interested in. The rest becomes a bit of a case of how deep do you want to go? Mostly you dont need to know.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Sorry, my bad I thought you were running 11P
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Wade

Post by Wade »

Great info antus. Thank you
Wade

Post by Wade »

The J'rod wrote:Hi All,
I purchased an NVRAM for a series 3 vs factory 5 speed manual, 5l ute before xmas, and have finally installed it in the car....so all I have done is replaced the factory memcal with the NVRAM........and now I have engine light on and fault codes below showing......apparently these codes are automatic transmission fault codes.......so how do I go about rectifying this issue.

I have also now (even though I have this issue) been able to hook up the nvram through tuner pro and now have live tuning.....not sure if this will help me solve this proplem.......any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers.
Once you learn how to use ose flash tool to get your bin that’s currently running on the nvram, go in and check to see if the manual transmission flags are set. There’s 2 by the looks of it.
Attachments
386AE22B-665E-46F9-8982-8C838F1EC926.jpeg
The J'rod
cars: Vs V8 series 3 commodore ute

Post by The J'rod »

OK.........none of what has been talked about here makes no sense to me your clearly on a whole other playing field when it comes to this.........my more simple question is how the fkn hell do I get this flashtool to connect to my vehicle, after I've downloaded it and opened it, and gone into options than preferences, what on the vehicle list will be a my series 3 V8 ute.

Cheers.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Look at the com port number, sometimes windows will assign a different com number to the device. On my PC it either uses com 3 or com 5 depending on what plugged in and which software.

This has almost always been my issue with connectivity.