NVRAM problem [solved]

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
pman92
cars: HZ One Tonner
VE Ute

NVRAM problem [solved]

Post by pman92 »

Hey guys,
Ive got an 808 fitted with NVRAM, a piggy backed V8 memcal with knock filter, and USB comms.
I purchased it a couple of years ago for my vehicle, which has since been fitted with another ECU and EEPROM memcal.
The NVRAM still has $12P 1.12 on it as thats what I last used.

Today I connected it to my brothers vehicle but couldn't get my laptop to connect with tunerpro.
I soon noticed I had stupidly fitted the NVRAM backwards (with piggybacked memcal sticking out where the end cover goes on the ECU).
I turned it around, but the fans were still running continuously with ignition on and didnt hear the fuel pump prime, and tuner pro would still not connect.
I confirmed the correct comm port and tried echo on and off.
I removed the NVRAM and fitted the piggyback memcal straight to the ECU, and the fans no longer ran continuously with ignition on.

This makes me think the code isn't running on the NVRAM for whatever reason? Could this be caused by me fitting it backwards?
The blue LED lights up in reference to the bin switch jumper being connected or not. The LED's on the USB comms are working. The R/W jumper was in place when I fitted it backwards (even though I'm aware I probably should only have this fitted when I intend to write/once everything is setup ok).

What can I do to trouble shoot this problem?
I haven't got anything to read or write the contents of the NVRAM chip directly.
Something I haven't tried yet was to see if it connects with the bin switch jumper in the other position in case I have corrupted one half?

Thanks in advance
VR-VY Holden BCM Simulator: View Post
MrModule.com.au
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Re: NVRAM problem

Post by Dylan »

Will flash tool connect? If so read the BIN and check that.
L67PSI
cars: L67 VT Calais

Post by L67PSI »

NVRAM chip could have gone flat and lost the .bin in it's memory.
pman92
VE Ute

Post by pman92 »

Flash tool does not connect either.

Ive triple checked everything is connected correctly.

This is a new laptop to the one I originally used. Was on win7 and now win10. But I'm pretty sure I have used this before I took the NVRAM out and put the EEPROM in.

Flash tool doesn't connect with standard memcal in either, but is this because the code isn't capable?

Will pull the EEPROM $12P memcal out of my ute and put it in and see if it connects tonight
MrModule.com.au
pman92
VE Ute

Post by pman92 »

Ok after hooking up the ECU on the bench, and connecting a test light over fuel pump relay control pin A1, the NVRAM does actually prime the fuel pump on ignition on. So now im thinking the NVRAM is fine and its actually a USB comms or laptop problem?
Has anyone had issues with USB comms on windows 10? Is there specific drivers I need to install or something?
MrModule.com.au
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Yes I think its a very common issue with win 10
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
pman92
VE Ute

Post by pman92 »

Ok so after another look after reading another thread on here.

With the bin switch jumper fitted the blue LED on the NVRAM stays on with ignition on and turns off straight away with ignition off. Another thread said it should stay on for 2 seconds. So I'm assuming that half of the nvram is corrupt.

With the jumper removed, the blue LED lights up for a split second (barely able to see) then goes straight off with ignition off. Unsure if this is correct or not.

I found the FTDI drivers on my portable hard drive I had previously installed. I have uninstalled the driver for the comm port listed in device manager then manually installed the FTDI drivers. Still no connection.

I think I will have to get a chip reader and check the contents of the NVRAM. Unless there is someone in Vic who can help me out? Even if I post my NVRAM to you.

Thanks
MrModule.com.au
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

I can help, I'm not far from you
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
pman92
VE Ute

Post by pman92 »

Ive bought a TL866A programmer. Says it should be here by friday.
I needed/wanted to get one anyway so I figured now is as good time as any.
Ill let you know how I go. Thanks for the offer BiggVL
MrModule.com.au
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Yes, the nvram needs a re-flash with the stacked bin from the original zip file. The led is not actually a power light, it shows which bank is selected. So it should be on for A and off for B. But it should stay on for 2 seconds when your on A and key off the car. Going straight out means the ecu is not booted and you need to pull the chip and put it in a programmer. Standard warning: be very careful when you pull it, the pins are not strong and the socket is tight. It tends to want to jump and bend the last leg or two.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396