Delco ecu issues

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
Shoslr
cars: Vn calais 355
Vn race car v6 sc14 supercharged

Delco ecu issues

Post by Shoslr »

Hey fellas,
Just after some advice on the delco ecu.

One of my cars is a vn 355 running delco which was professionally tuned by efi dynamics in lilydale (melb)
Car been running fine for at least 5 years.

Recently i had to put i back to daily duties as my daily car was off the road.
Car was fine for about 3 weeks, and without any signs, car started running like a pig.
Trouble to get started, wont idle and very bad miss, running very rich and blowing heap of black smoke.
I started with the obvious and checked plugs and leads. Then changed ign module and coil. None of this helped.
I have a heap of spare ecus, so i changed to a v6 ecu and put my memcal in it.
This now seemed to have settled the car down a heap.

Question is, is it common for the delco to just shit its self like that, what actually goes wrong with them, and is the v6-v8 delco exactly the same and just the memcal different, or would i be stupid to attemt to drive the car like that.

Cheers steve
delcowizzid

Re: Delco ecu issues

Post by delcowizzid »

They are know for the coolant sensor circuit to fail and they go rich blow black at idle and struggle to stay running and are hard to start hot.your fine to swap your memcal into another ecu it's the same ecu in both v6 and v8
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Post by Dylan »

What other mods to the motor?
Shoslr

Post by Shoslr »

Cheers delcowiz, was pretty sure that was the case but rather check with the experts that ruin a 15k motor.

Dylan
355 billet callies crank, custom grind clive cam, torque power manifold 1000cfm top mount throttlebody, roller rockers, a9l rods, all the normal goodies. Street tune for reliability.

Have a vn v6 track car with a sc14 which i lunched the last motor and got a eeprom from this site but am like a blind person trying to work all this stuff out.
Not it tech savy at all.

Have moved all wiring, fuse box, and coil pack under dash but still yet to try get it started. Have 4 weeks before my next track day
Dylan

Post by Dylan »

Sounds like a winner the stroker. How'd it go as a daily? Good Street manners?
Shoslr

Post by Shoslr »

Yeah been a good rig.
Drove a a daily when i first built it but thirsty on fuel.
Stall isnt over the top -3800- so still conservative. Runs fine, good street manners but has balls when you want it.
I did have a d/h monent a few years ago when i entered it at springnats and peer pressure got the best of me to enter the skid comp.
4 minutes later she got a tad hot.
Seemed all good, but a few weeks later i had a photoshoop for street comos with vnss club, and car wasnt running right.
Realised when she overheated ithe harmonic ballencer bolt worked its way loose and sheered off the key way.
Damaged the end of the crank, but luckily was salvagable. My wng builder machined it down and had to have a custom ballencer.made to suit the thinner crank shaft end.
besides that self inflicted issue, car has run mint.
Dylan

Post by Dylan »

Awesome. Get all your tuning gear sorted and hook up to this and give the fuel a touch up it'll love it.
Shoslr

Post by Shoslr »

Yeah was thinking of hooking the modified delco upto the 355 and tinker but i dont want to stuff the tune done by efi dyn. Cost 750 to get done originally so want to make sure i know what i am doing first.

Need to get the racecar sorted. I know the sc14 are a waste of time but im too far onto it now.
A mate stuffed with my laptop last week and now i cant unzip all the files off here to open in tunerpro.
Shoslr

Post by Shoslr »

delcowizzid wrote:They are know for the coolant sensor circuit to fail and they go rich blow black at idle and struggle to stay running and are hard to start hot.your fine to swap your memcal into another ecu it's the same ecu in both v6 and v8
Do you know if these are repairable or would i be better just to bin that ecu mate?
Dylan

Post by Dylan »

You won't stuff it. Take a read first and nothing can go wrong.
Fair chance it'll be a kalmaker tune but that's easily converted to 12 P