New to VX Commodore PCM ECU issues.

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
JohnDee68
cars: L36 Vx Series 2 8/2002 Acclaim Wagon 3.8L ECOTEC II.

New to VX Commodore PCM ECU issues.

Post by JohnDee68 »

Hi ALL,

please excuse my lack of knowledge, but a lack of knowledge can be reduced or eliminated once a topic is learnt.

I have a VX 8/2002 Commodore Aclaim, Standard V6 no Supercharge.

I seem to have a error where the software TunerPro and Flash tool wont longer connect properly to the ALDL. I can send and receive Hex Codes, seemingly to all PCM BCM ECU, but not 100% sure.

I have a feeling somehow the units have had a corruption which has possibly changed the identification or security numbers on one of the units, I think? so now the flashtool wont allow me to connect to let me flash CAL or BIN anymore.

Can someone explain what unit the cable connects to, then which unit it talks to through the connector? I know the device ID is F7 and F1. but not sure if this even may be corrupt?

Any help for the beginner here is appreciated of course.

Regards
John.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Re: New to VX Commodore PCM ECU issues.

Post by antus »

Its the ALDL data bus, and it has all the modules in the car electrically connected. Eg, Dash, Air bags (SRS), ABS, BCM, PCM, probably others. So you could talk to it before? What sort of ALDL interface? Have you tried unpluging the battery for a couple of mins to reset everything? What software are using, and what were you trying to do? Did you flash the PCM with a modified tune?
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
JohnDee68

Post by JohnDee68 »

Ok, (sorry for delays.)

From my (limited experience) understanding. It seems, (i don't know how or if correct) But the BCM and PCM may not be now linked?
If I look at the details which I can access via the HEX commands, ie; F7,57,0A,00,A8. via the send command linking.
it seems there might be a spot where the VIN has been changed or possibly the device security check? I could be way off here. I am a novice to the whole ALDL stuff.

I have scanned and searched the forums of responses from the likes of Tazzi, antus and VL100.

At a point Tazzi asked a forum member for some received codes after sending a few. though I am unclear as to how to interpret the ones which my current vehicle returns.

I am, not sure why, feeling and thinking its simply a mismatch of the modules somehow. the single dash display lcd shows "error" now and the motor cranks, almost fires, then wont start or almost fire after that initial attempt. it is like the fuel or injectors isnt getting in to the combustion chambers. I had it working previously with software I purchased from Envyous. but now it says something like "cant find ECU" so wont connect any further. At another try to connect through using Flash Tool, it says something like "ignition key not turned to ON" though it is.
I havent undone or changed any hardware since the error happened, so it is all happened via the ALDL cable and use of my laptop. (the cable also purchased from Envyous and am confident it's NOT causing any issues.).

Is there a way to Relink the PCM BCM via sending HEX command Codes?

kind regards
John.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

It sounds like your pcm isnt even running. Key on implys its not getting any answer and asking you to turn it on. Did you re-flash it? If so, what with? What else have you changed on the car? Which envious customs tool? Did you try and change any settings in any other modules than the pcm modules? Were going to need all the details about what you've done. If it was caused by functionality of one of the envious customs tools, we are not going to be able to help much as envious customs has kept details on how those tools work private.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
madmaxisback
cars: VN Calais
VK Berlina

Post by madmaxisback »

Looks like you have had an issue that might have bricked it mate.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=2518&start=710#p86337

Questions:
Are you using Windows 10 - Creators (1709) update by any chance ?
(Reason I ask is I am having some issues that might be caused by this update)

Did you have erratic mouse or jumping speedo or padlock on cluster while flashing cal/bin?

Important steps if flashing VX/VY Flash based units:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=82&start=40#p6472
JohnDee68

Post by JohnDee68 »

Alright guys,

here's what I can find out, I think. (with much brain strain and reading like never before...lol)

The details so far. I had a running (though seemingly unecconomical and not like it used too.) so, I began to learn and use a combination of Envyous software and ALDL supplied cable. With Tuner Pro and FLash Tool to try and make the car run more efficient, smoother to my driving needs and styles of required driving. The car is standard, without any mods to it (other than a newer recond motor in it recently - not related to the errors I have created.)

So I tried to upload BIN, CAL to it via the ALDL and TunerPro and Flash tool as per one would. I could do this a few times over a different few days and weeks. Untill the error(s) began. Where the car failed to start (would, will crank, but not run).

I have done a major learning curve in reading, learning a HEX coding and data bits modifications.

It seems, to me. from what I have read and looked at. Is that I somehow, possible from working on it in the twilight hours and too tired to think clearly. Caused by either uploading a incorrect BIN file through Flash Tool which has not only possibly changed the VIN number, it seems it must have turned VATS ON. making the security system not allow the BCM to give access via ALDL to the ECU...I think, if thats possible?

SO, I am hoping that IF I can send a "command" to turn the VATS OFF, via Flash Tool to module F1. then it might allow the car to start at least?

I am trying to work out now, how to alter selected Bits in a selected memory location of a BCM. Any help here also appreciated.

I think something like this may be what I can send to the BCM via the ALDL Flash Tool commands:
F1,61,0C,0,0,1,1,0,1,0,0B

which wih my understanding, so far and still very limited. The above code should send a byte of 8 bits data to the BCM (F1). In the case of the data byte being 0,0,1,1,0,1,0. it should set Bit3 to 1 which is VATS Fuel Enable = ENABLED.

Can anyone shed a little more light on these so I am knowing IF I am correct or not please?

I am also unclear, maybe Tazzi or antus, you might be able to help me understand the way I can send to a specific HEX Address to change the Bit on the VATS ?
I seem to find the address(Hex) of 5796, Bit#3 is the VATS locallity stored value... is that correct?

THanks guys, I am determined that if the TECH2 can talk to the BCM, ECU and other modules, so should the ALDL cable connection? so I should be able to send commands via HEX level tot he BCM, ECU to fix the issues I have created. well, lets hope.

Regards
John.
pman92
cars: HZ One Tonner
VE Ute

Post by pman92 »

I dont think the BCM can stop communication between the PCM and diagnostic port.

I would remove the PCM from the vehicle and wire it up on the bench. This eliminates all other possibilities and if its not even running or bricked as others have suggested you will soon know for sure.
VR-VY Holden BCM Simulator: View Post
MrModule.com.au
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

There is no single command that can turn off VATS permanently in the PCM - that would not be a very good security measure! To start with device ID F1 is the BCM and F7 is the PCM, id suggest not just firing commands off as that may really mess things up.

The flashtool firstly unlocks the PCM, it has many read things locked using a seed/key combo so you cant actually do much while locked. Then it uploads code which gets executed from RAM, the normal PCM code does not contain the ability to flash itself or read the entire BIN. This RAM based code does the erasing and writing while being commanded by the flashtool program. So the short of it is, there is no command you can send to turn off VATS.

You will need to put your original PCM back in, if you took note of buying another before writing to your original.
JohnDee68

Post by JohnDee68 »

Ok,
So I dont have another or backup unit to put in. ( Hindsigth is a wonderfull thing.).

I dont know how to go about hooking up the BCM on a bench? Any links on that set of instructions?

If i have the seed and security keys from it (about 2 years ago), and VATS can be turned off and on via the TunerPro software. Surely there must be a way of doing the same, even if it involves doing so at the lower level of direct HEX coding at the EEPROM address the data bits are located? By changing the data bits at the required Address (hex) locations, wont that then allow for the two devices BCM PCM and ECU to all see each other as being originals and then work together?

I cant (as i obviously dont know enough yet) see how come I cant say send a sequence of code or codes, via the ALDL interface. That would say let me re program the address (hex) of say 4657. Making those 8 bits or there of, become values like 0011 1010. Does that make possible or even logical sence? Or am I so far off the matk here?

I understand it would make for a very poor security system should it be that easy to do so. But keep in mind, I hold the security key and seed key already. Not something most would be able to obtaiin if they were of a theiving nature.

I live 600 plus km in the outback and well away from a reputable holden authorised dealership. And cant afford currently to have a vehicle towed to it, let alone able to afford the expected costs it will likely incurr. Hence the lack of having a swapable BCM. I do have data read from the device prior to its, lts say, corruption.

I am almost to the end of my witts end with it all and other sequence of events i am dealing with. When it rains, it pours.

Please, i am asking for more knowledge on how it all works in more like a laymans view.
As I am feeling I dont think i even fully understand, from bits i have read through the forum. Whats actually happening in the device at the point of the ALDL connector onwards. Like does the connector first connect to the BCM (F1). And when we try talking to the other modules like the PCM (F7) the data actually goes through the BCM first? Or is it more like a old style desktop computer, were the video card, sound card, network card all connect to the one motherboard (BUS), and are spoken to via the motherboard processors first? (If that makes sence).

Regards
John.
yoda69
cars: 2004 VYII Acclaim Wagon V6 Auto LPG/Petrol
2004 VYII Berlina sedan V6 Auto
2005 VZ Monaro CV8 manual

Post by yoda69 »

Do you have a copy of the original, full bin read (128k file) of your PCM?
If so it will be possible to clone your ECU with all original VATS information, this will at least get you back to how the vehicle was before you started tinkering.