Loom - ECU - Engine - Box combination

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Re: Loom - ECU - Engine - Box combination

Post by antus »

Its a memcal (memory calibration), from factory its a ROM chip (read only memory), but can be erased and flashed like you want. The nvram is Non-Volatile-Random-Access-Memory, (it can be read and written while the car is running and does not erase when you key off) and is used in conjunction with our software for making edits while the engine is running (for tuners and tuning). I get the point of what your asking, and someone will likely PM you but just wanted to keep the terminology right.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

Send me a private message I can sort you out
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
littlesprout

Post by littlesprout »

Sorry antus I'm missing something?

I was planning on getting a V6 808 ECU as suggested and pulling the standard V6 memcal replacing it with a NVRAM to allow live tuning... Is this not right?

I feel like I'm missing something.

Thanks delcowizzid will do :thumbup: :punk:
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

sorry i missed that, i thought you wanted a normal v6 memcal modified and supplied with the v8 tune on it. ignore my post.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
littlesprout

Post by littlesprout »

All good I didn't explain myself very well.

To be honest I wasn't sure about the V6 memcal holding a V8 tune.
I had heard that it was hard to find someone able and willing to convert the V6 memcal to hold a V8 tune.

It might be worth using the V6 memcal to get it going and worry about the NVRAM and live tuning later.

I'm going to try rounding up a V6 808 + memcal & then PM delcowizzid and sort something out.... hopefully.

Thanks again everyone the information has been very much appreciated :thumbup:
littlesprout

Post by littlesprout »

I got myself a nice untouched grandma spec Series 1 VS Acclaim V6 IRS, ABS, SRS all the acronyms.

So this is what the 5ltr will be going into.

Its probably not the best option with its ecotec V6 PCM, electronically controlled auto, VATS etc.

I'm pretty sure the ecotec V6 PCM and memcal is a no go for the VQ 5ltr and hydraulic/mechanical auto.

What would be the best option for the ECU/PCM? Still the 808?

Would I need a VS 5ltr engine/pcm loom? Or will the VQ 5ltr loom do the job?

Any help would be hugely appreciated :)
Sorry for the run around.
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Post by Dylan »

Probably best to start with a VS manual loom and add in the converter lock up wiring. Not plug and play but that's how is start.
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

VS manual loom is fairly bloody rare these days.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

get a vr 5ltr loom and use that ... if you want to have hydraulically controlled gearbox you can adjust the pcm to suit....

I have put a VS V6 body loom into my Bedford, and it has a VN 5 Ltr and hydro box, I put the correct speed sensor and extension housing on it but you don't need to do that, I started with the VN V8 engine loom so I re-pinned to suit and just didn't have the wiring in it for the electronic auto ... but you could always leave it in there and tape it up or remove it from the loom whichever you prefer.

I would expect any VR/VS V8 engine loom will go straight into the VS V6 body loom.
littlesprout

Post by littlesprout »

Thanks for the info :thumbup:

I wasn't sure if the VS V8 loom would connect up to the V6 body loom. Thats good to know.

Would it be possible to have the VQ V8 engine loom modified? As I ready have that.

I'm still unsure if I should stick with the previously recommended 808 or switch to the 424 now that it will be fitted into a VS??