Loom - ECU - Engine - Box combination

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
littlesprout

Loom - ECU - Engine - Box combination

Post by littlesprout »

Hi, I really need some info asap....

1) Can I use a VN/VQ harness, 5ltr & hydraulic T700 with a VR 5ltr auto (424) ECM and a NVRAM??
2) Will this still allow a diagnostic connection of some kind?
3) With the mix of VR/VN/VQ what combination of hardware, software would be required for programming, comms, diagnosics, OS etc etc

Sorry writing quickly as i need to bath my kid lol

Any advice would be great, Thanks :)
oldn64
cars: Vq Statesman, VE SS wagon, VE Sv6, VY SV8, VL Belina

Re: Loom - ECU - Engine - Box combination

Post by oldn64 »

Hello and Welcome Littlesprout,

I have not touched this stuff for a number of years but will hopefully give you a little bit of an idea. Grey matter a little rusty....

Firstly gearbox VN/VP did not control the gearbox. BUT they did have a harness which went to the gearbox for three things off the top of my head, park sensor, rear switch and speedo drive. these where a 4L60 (updated T700) The VR onwards where controlled by the ECU and thus have more ciruits to the gearbox, mid vr they changed to a different plug and thus there is a revision in there as well. From memory a VR ECU will not plug into a VN/P wiring harness.

SO I suspect what you are going to need is the following...

VN/P ECU with VN/P wiring running a interface board to allow tuning. this will not be live.
VR/S with VR/S wiring modified OS for ECU placed in manual mode (ie not running the trans) with NVRAM board installed.
VT with VT wiring (5L not LS1) same as above.

out of interest what are you trying to do.... A wiring diagram might help you too....

cheers
oldn64

(the above information is based on what I think was in my memory 12 years ago, i am rusty and might have got confused with some of this. I am only just returning to this stuff myself and therefore will start to remember things more accurately as the time goes by)
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Yes a plan of action on the drive-train side of things would be the best starting point to work out what electronic hardware will be required.

I will say that just about any engine can be used with any loom or ECU/PCM, but the transmission type is limited to the ECU/PCM types to a point. Electronic autos must be used with PCMs like 424, but any and including PCM/ECU can be used with just about any hydr auto or manual box with minor mods as required.

Diagnostics generally pre and including VS are very straight forward, minor mods or wiring changes and picking the right interface hardware to suit. Later cars gets more complicated due to additional stuff on the data bus else where in the car.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
littlesprout

Post by littlesprout »

Sorry I had been trying to post for a while and things kept coming up... bathing kid for example.

Thanks ppl for your time.

I always thought the VNs & VPs were TH700s... Now I think of it I dunno why I thought that. Were the V6s TH700s??

Anyway back on topic.

The Story.
I had a HZ prem I was building for touring/cruising not a strip weapon. It had a standard reco blue 308, standard reco TH400, standard reco 10 bolt but I wanted to go injected so I purchased a VQ 5ltr with harness, reco and slightly modded auto box, new 2500rpm stall.

The conversion was waiting while I did some mods on my series 2 VX SS.... and then.... bam kid.... so I sold off both for a house deposit (same old story).

So now I have the VQ 5ltr, auto box, loom etc etc in the shed with no ECU.

Unfortunately I have no idea as yet what it will be fitted into but very likely a HQ-HZ or VB-VH.

I was also toying with the idea of dropping it into my 98 MK Triton 4x4. It isn't very likely but never say never.

Any advice on the ECU and associated elec/wiring/comms etc would be greatly appreciated.
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

Just buy an 808 vn ecu and plug it in they go for $50 upwards
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

+1
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
oldn64
cars: Vq Statesman, VE SS wagon, VE Sv6, VY SV8, VL Belina

Post by oldn64 »

you have everything there but ECU find the 808 which ran this and use it... simple conversion.

cheers
oldn64
littlesprout

Post by littlesprout »

A factor 5ltr 808 can go for upto $500.

I'm inferring you mean a factor V6 808? rip the standard memcal out and replace with NVRAM?

Are any other mods required to run a 5ltr with the V6 808 apart from the memcal/nvram?

Sorry I've never done any work with an injected 5ltr only carb and LS1s
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

4 6 and 8 cylinder all the same 808 ecu just a different memcal v6 one can be converted to v8 just by snipping one leg in the mental and burning a v8 tune on it
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
littlesprout

Post by littlesprout »

Thank you all for the info :thumbup:
Seems to be a better community here than most.

Can anyone recommend someone I can send the V6 ECU and NVRAM to have the leg snipped and base tune loaded?

Cheers