VY into VX - Traction Control & Side Airbag issues

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
Larkfields
cars: VY Wagon, VX Wagon, VT Wagon, M5

VY into VX - Traction Control & Side Airbag issues

Post by Larkfields »

Hi All,

Newbie here, well new to this forum and Commodores. I have taken the time to search this forum for information relating to my issues.

I've just completed a full install of VY interior and electronics into my tired old VX Wagon. Big job, I ended up replacing all the wiring looms and swapped the motor and gearbox too while I was at it - long story short but I was lucky enough to pick up an immaculate 2003 VY wagon at Pickles that had had a tap in the rear.

The donor interior (VY) was an Executive, my tired old VX is an Acclaim, so it has side airbags and Traction whereas the VY did not.

I have two issues I am trying to deal with now, I am hoping I'm in the right place but as I've said above, I'm new to the GM/Holden electronics architecture and I'm just not sure where to start.

My two issues are...

1. I have tried to retain the side (seat) airbags. I have done this by keeping the VX front seats, installing the VX SRS wiring loom and sourced a VY SRS Module (346) from a side airbag VY. I have not had success so far and still have a cluster display 'Incorrect Airbag'. I am unable to clear this with TunerPro. Does the SRS module need coding to the ECU or cluster?

2. I have retained the Traction control ABS unit of the VX, made a flyout lead for the traction control switch mounted on the (auto) gearshift. I did not expect this part of my build to be 'plug and play' but i've run out of ideas and still have no traction control, nor is the T/C switch responsive. Is there a procedure i'm missing or do I need to edit the ECI BIN to enable the T/C unit?

Any help would be appreciated

Kindest Regards

Ed
delcowizzid

Re: VY into VX - Traction Control & Side Airbag issues

Post by delcowizzid »

The dash cluster needs to be reprogrammed to suit the number of airbag circuits I think.are the bulbs in the dash for the traction control and low traction lights
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

As delco said, and you will need access to a tech2 or similar scan tool
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
Larkfields

Post by Larkfields »

Thanks delco and Biggvl - so this is more a cluster issue than anything else by the sound of it. Tech2 - is there a software solution or is it a trip to an expert?

Traction - when I do a cluster check (from service mode) the LCD 'TRAC OFF' is there. I don't think the VY cluster a low traction light, I think it flashes the 'TRAC' on the LCD display - I can't see any 'shadows' of warnings that are not illuminated other than Pass. There's no physical traction either, just happily spins the wheels around corners now...(which is OK but not what I had in mind)
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

Tazzis / envious customs body diagnostics software and an aldl cable can reprogram dash settings for airbag
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
Larkfields

Post by Larkfields »

Thanks Delco, Looks like I will have to try and find a mech with Tech2 - had a look at Envious Customs software - very impressive but out of my budget

Cheers
Larkfields

Post by Larkfields »

......and then I discover the 30 day license for $50 and realise I must already have a an ALDL cable if I'm using TunerPro....Thanks guys, it's a learning curve.

Will report back the airbag results.

Cheers
oldn64
cars: Vq Statesman, VE SS wagon, VE Sv6, VY SV8, VL Belina

Post by oldn64 »

Hello Larkfields,

Where are you in this fantastic country of ours. I travel for my job and have access to appropriate softwares to be able to reprogram the dash. I can assist if need be. If I can pull the codes from my software I could potentially to this remotely if you have a cable. Actually, my remote tooling might even report a com port. hmmmm this could be a great idea. Let me know anyways.

Kind Regards
oldn64
motoman100
cars: 2002 VY v6 Commodore

Post by motoman100 »

Hi oldn64
i have a VY and i am having trouble flashing the ecu and reprogramming the dash to manual, would you be able to assist me at all?
oldn64
cars: Vq Statesman, VE SS wagon, VE Sv6, VY SV8, VL Belina

Post by oldn64 »

The ECU flash and dash programming are completely different proceedures, and also software.

Long story short you will need a tuning or flash software to do the ECU and a dash software to deal with the dash.

For the flash you can use the OSE flashtool found here..viewtopic.php?f=3&t=82
For the dash you can use the clustermod software here..http://1337vending.com/vzclustermod/

both will need to use the aldl cable.

Big thing I like with the cluster mod application is that you can run the listen command and then see the comms, if this is all go you have at least got a connection to the databus and then can start diagnosing from there.

What happens if you try a read from the OSE scantool. Connect it to the ALDL port, open ose flashtool select the comm port for your ALDL cable (make sure that the driver is installed etc.) and also select "FlashPCM in vehicle". Then select the connect to ECM button. you should see a heap of stuff then hopefully "Found VY Flash PCM" with luck then the VIN of the PCM you have will pop up. This needs to be linked with the BCM otherwise mad issues, but from here you shoudl at least be able to pull a bin from the car with a "get bin" do this a number of times as there are specific PCM details with relation to the car and without this you are sort of screwed.

Do a couple of pulls and save all of them with the prompt for NO if you get asked to clear internal registers. READ the bin multiple time and if data errors occur then you need to sort through some sort of issue first. without a clean run you have no chance of a good read let alone a good write.

cheers
oldn64