Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
Shifty
cars: Vs turbo build
VL turbo

Post by Shifty »

Hi guys

New to this Delco business but not to modifying cars. Short version, I have a VS Ecotec (Auto) that is being turbocharged on a shoestring. Money spent where it's needed, but not where it doesn't have to be.

I've read and understood as much as I can without making a stupid post and this is now where I'm up to.

So, as far as I can tell, with the purchase of an NVRAM chip, which plugs straight into my ECU (yeah?) and an ALDL cable, the free version of Tunerpro will allow me the capacity to live-tune. Do I have that correct?

Looking at tuning for injector upgrade and boost (not sure on this with MAF, do I just chase AFRs and adjust timing as MAF signal increases?).

Also wouldn't mind modifying the auto, I read in the getting started guide that there is little/no knowledge out there but the FAQ is quite old - is there info available on this now / does Tunerpro provide some type of easy to follow method?

Thanks, a million rubbish posts to follow as I decide what's happening & even more when it goes ahead.
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Re: Newbie

Post by immortality »

Yes, with what you mention above you can live tune the Delco using the relevant software from this site. It is recommended you get a WB02 sensor too.

Yes, use the Enhanced tune from The1 and adjust the Injector Rate Constant Vs mg/cyl Vs RPM table to fine tune the AFR's.
Shifty
VL turbo

Post by Shifty »

How programmable is the ignition? I remember reading somewhere at some point that there is all sorts of weirdness involved in the ignition setup on these, at least when converting to an aftermarket ecu.

Being turbo ignition control is even more critical than AFR.
Shifty
VL turbo

Post by Shifty »

Also, how is the wb02 wired in, do you replace the narrowband or is there facility to add the extra input?
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

The WB O2 can be wired into the ecu on a spare pin and the Enhanced tunes are already setup to support the WB input.

Ignition is fully tuneable and more than capable of supporting a blown engine.
Shifty
VL turbo

Post by Shifty »

Awesome.

I've done some looking and it looks like the wideband is used only for display/logging purposes, may as well run one anyway I guess.

Interested to get into this, I'll do it shortly while the car is still NA so I can get my head around the software, then I'll do injectors so I am not changing everything at once.