difference between '424 PCM v6 and v8

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
k_switch
cars: 1975 HJ Kingswood Sedan
1975 HJ Premier Wagon
1982 WB Ute

difference between '424 PCM v6 and v8

Post by k_switch »

Hey guys,

Sounds like a bit of a dumb question but I just require clarification on this.... I've been researching this flat out but to no avail. To my knowledge the '424 PCM is exactly the same (without the memcal of course) in the v8 and v6, so for argument sake I could buy another spare '424 off a v6 and it will still run my v8 with $11p. The reason I am asking this is I recently cooked my PCM and require a replacement, and if its listed on fleabay as a v6 they're a shiteload cheaper than if listed as a v8 one. I've been going over wiring diagrams flat out and everything looks identical... The extra pinouts pretty much just run the CAS, knock sensor etc in the v6 and aren't used in the v8 obviously.

I'm doing this so I have a spare PCM, so if anything goes awry I can just swap it over.

So pretty much there are two different circuits in the PCM, and the memcal will determine if its a v8 or a v6 and whether to use the CAS circuit or not with the bin that's on the memcal yeah?

I think this makes sense what i'm trying to describe :lol:

Cheers
pman92
cars: HZ One Tonner
VE Ute

Re: difference between '424 PCM v6 and v8

Post by pman92 »

Yeah exactly the same. If the service number is the same it's the same (if its a 424 its a 424).
808's were used on 4cyl, 6cyl and 8cyl and are all identical.

What is different is what you have said, the memcal.
VR-VY Holden BCM Simulator: View Post
MrModule.com.au
k_switch
cars: 1975 HJ Kingswood Sedan
1975 HJ Premier Wagon
1982 WB Ute

Re: difference between '424 PCM v6 and v8

Post by k_switch »

Awesome thanks mate I thought that was the case, cheers! :thumbup: