Comms dropping in and out

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
nutbag355
cars: bf xr6 turbo
vs ss
vr clubsport

Comms dropping in and out

Post by nutbag355 »

Gday all so as the title suggests I’m having a comma issue. I’ll give you a bit of background.

The car is a vs clubsport with a reasonable cam, nothing over the top. 4l60e (“424” pcm)
Nvram loaded with 11p104.3 associated xdf and adx loaded onto tuner pro, the pcm is set up with the jumper wire (have used it successfully before)

The issue I’m having is that with the car running while live tuning the comms for acquisition drops in and out repetitively ever second and records and error, while this is occurring the hz at which it is reading at fluctuates between 1.6hz and 5hz. It doesn’t loose connection to the pcm though. But when I have the car with ignition on but not started all is happy and well but as soon as I start the car it goes haywire, I’ve tried disconnecting the bcm thinking it was chatter and it made no difference. At low load I can still sometime load a change I’ve made but as soon as I increase the engine load it will stop acquiring date all together until the engine load decreases.
I’ve tried reloading the xdf and adx flies along with trying other adx files with no joy. Other than dodgy comms cable I’m at a loss.
delcowizzid

Re: Comms dropping in and out

Post by delcowizzid »

Do you have resistor spark plugs in it and a good quality usb cable with a supression block on it the proper term evades my mind right now lol
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
nutbag355
vs ss
vr clubsport

Post by nutbag355 »

Yeah mate sure do and the cable is the one from off of here. Been using the setup faultlessly for over a year now and used it on several different vehicles without issue. I think the barrel thingy on the cable is called a choke? Probably waaay off on that one haha.
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

Will be some form of interference are the engine loom earths clean and tight .if you have another usb cable try it and you could try splice the 2 earths behind the aldl plug and add another earth. There's been a few on here swapped usb cables and sorted the same kinda error. Do you have a wideband wired in
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Ferrite bead
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

That's the One lol
nutbag355
vs ss
vr clubsport

Post by nutbag355 »

Biggvl wrote:Ferrite bead
Doesn’t sound sexual at all haha :lol:
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

umm? nah I don't want to know how you got that.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
nutbag355
vs ss
vr clubsport

Post by nutbag355 »

No sense of adventure haha
nutbag355
vs ss
vr clubsport

Post by nutbag355 »

delcowizzid wrote:Will be some form of interference are the engine loom earths clean and tight .if you have another usb cable try it and you could try splice the 2 earths behind the aldl plug and add another earth. There's been a few on here swapped usb cables and sorted the same kinda error. Do you have a wideband wired in
Other then a oil pressure gauge the car is as it came from the factory wiring wise (that I can see) no added wideband or hidden trickery. I’ll try another cable when I get back to the car on Wednesday and see how that goes, failing that I have a aldl socket that I patch into a 305 ecu for when I tune cars with 808 ecu’s so I can unpick the cars aldl wire from the pcm plug and pin in my socket as I can earth it solid to a place of my choosing. See what that does.