Comms dropping in and out

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Re: Comms dropping in and out

Post by vlad01 »

where is the coil located?

I had the same issue on a VR 5L as the coil was mounted on the shock tower. I temp moved it to on top of the manifold and it solved the inteferance issue.

Also non resistor plug are havoc on comms.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
nutbag355
cars: bf xr6 turbo
vs ss
vr clubsport

Post by nutbag355 »

The coil is mounted in the factory location at the back of the block and I haven’t pulled a plug so at this stage I’m assuming them to be bpr6ef or similar spec. I’m away from the car until Wednesday so I’ll hook in and try a couple of different things to see if I can find what’s effecting it.
h4x0r

Post by h4x0r »

I had this issue when driving. It was the earth wire loose on the obd port.
j_ds_au

Post by j_ds_au »

nutbag355 wrote:Yeah mate sure do and the cable is the one from off of here. Been using the setup faultlessly for over a year now and used it on several different vehicles without issue. I think the barrel thingy on the cable is called a choke? Probably waaay off on that one haha.
Just to confirm, your cable is the one here? :
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3616

That's about the best cable currently available for noise immunity (I used to make cables that were specifically optimised for noise immunity, so even better, but don't have time for that these days). It's certainly better than the garden variety ones.

And yes, inductors and ferrite beads, when used for smoothing or noise suppression, are called chokes.

Joe.
VX L67 Getrag

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

I had a VX L67 doing this the other day & turned out to be the 2 main earths at body between battery & cruise module!