Fuel Gauge Help - LS1 VY SS cluster in silvia

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
Aaron180
cars: VE Maloo
S13 Silvia

Fuel Gauge Help - LS1 VY SS cluster in silvia

Post by Aaron180 »

Hi all,

I've got a Silvia with a LS1 using a VY SS cluster and PCM. trying to get the fuel gauge to work. does the fuel gauge need the serial data wire to work at all?? I don't have a BCM wired in
The cluster has two wires for the fuel gauge as far as I know. Orange/black for the return and a tan wire. None of these are 12v. so what provides the fuel level sender with power?

Also, im most likely going to be modifying and using the VY fuel pump cradle so the resistance is correct. The silvia fuel level sender reads about 5ohm to about 80ohm.

This has got me confused. ive had a look on google and have tried a few wiring diagrams and nothing.
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Re: Fuel Gauge Help - LS1 VY SS cluster in silvia

Post by Dylan »

I ran a VY cluster in a mate's Hilux. We had an aftermarket sender in a fuel cell and all worked fine.
I don't have any records of what ohm's etc but it's possible.
Tre-Cool
cars: VY SS UTE, VX Drag Car

Post by Tre-Cool »

it's reistance ohms based. not voltage. pretty sure 0-240
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

I dont think the fuel level sender needs 12v, I looked up the diagram and those 2 wires go directly to the fuel level sender in the tank. id just hook up the ls1 sender on the bench and see if your guage starts reading.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Levels are software calibratable in the dash, different applications have different configurations. If you have dash software that can configure it you can set the high and low ohms to suit your sender. But if not, changing sender might be the best option. Also some different revisions of the dash can support swapping high and low ohms if your sender works the other way. I think its the later ones that can handle this, but im not sure the details.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

yeah the VZ senders are backwards.... the reason as far as I can tell is that in the VY more resistance = more fuel in tank.... but when you drive the fuel heats up and makes the sender resistance increase so it looks like the fuel level goes UP as you drive lol (or go down slower than it should) then you stop over night and come back with cold fuel the next day and your gauge reads heaps lower than when you turned the car off.

they swapped it round in VZ coz you are less likely to tun out of fuel if the opposite were to happen