PCM questions regarding L67 Swap into VY

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
Captain Slow

PCM questions regarding L67 Swap into VY

Post by Captain Slow »

Hello,

A bit of an introduction.
My name is Ben, I've used this forum from time to time over the last few years and it's been very helpful, so thank you all :)

I was hoping to get a bit of guidance with my current project. I've done a lot of reading but to be honest i'm a little confused with a some of the terminology being thrown around so i'm hoping for a fairly straight forward answer to point me in the right direction.

I'm putting a L67 from a VS Statesman into a VY wagon that had an L34 with automatic. I'm retaining the VY transmission but will use the L67 Torque converter.

Now from what i've gathered it's easiest to just modify the VY engine harness and stick with the VY PCM, but i've just found out I can't just swap the memcal like I did with a previous VS L67 into EJ Holden project.

So what's the best (or easiest) course of action?
I've read that the VY PCM is better/more computing power, and controls the transmission better than earlier PCMs but i'm not necessarily against moving to an earlier PCM if it's going to make life easier.

The car will have a bigger exhaust and throttle body and probably around a 10psi charger pulley (another decision to make) so whatever PCM solution I arrive at will need to be tuned regardless.

Thanks in advance
Ben
Captain Slow

Re: PCM questions regarding L67 Swap into VY

Post by Captain Slow »

Also, forgot to mention.

I happen to already have a Mace VT auto L67 large throttle body memcal, but I'm not sure if its had VATS removed.
If there was a way I could use that without any down sides that would certainly be convenient :)

Ben
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

Rewiring to suit the vt vx vy l67 ecu would be the easiest and run a vy l67 tune in the memcal
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
cars: VY s L67
Haines Hunter - not a car but still a toy

Post by 0081 »

I have a conversion like what you have planned but I'm running a manual trans
You can have the VY PCM flashed to suit the motor if needed
Or run a VY l67 loom and l67 PCM as they still have the removal memcal but you will needs vats turned off or have the PCM linked to the car
Captain Slow

Post by Captain Slow »

Thanks for the responses guys, so are VT VX VY L67 pcms all identical?

So if I found a L67 VT VX VY harness and same pcm then everything would virtually be plug and play just requiring a modified memcal to suit various mods and remove vats, which would also just plug in to the pcm?

Ben
cars: VY s L67
Haines Hunter - not a car but still a toy

Post by 0081 »

I believe you can use any actual memcal based VT VX VY PCM but you need to use the correct loom and memcal to the model of car you have
krusty
cars: VY Calais guzzler, Toyota Corolla almost hybrid

Post by krusty »

VT/ VX L67 harness are compatible with eachother but for a VY you will need to mod the VY Eco harness or use a VY L67 harness and ECU. Body connections are different to earlier models.

Best way would be to adapt the VY Eco harness and get an L67 tune flashed onto the VY Eco ecu which is non memcal
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

As VY didnt come out with L67 on Flash PCM, the tune you would run has been created by forum member the1 and can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=2518
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

But don't flash in the l67 tunes they won't work on flash ecus
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Yeah, if using the flash pcm you would need to load the VY NA flash enhanced bin, then tune it to support the boost (use timing etc from the memcal based SC tune).
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396