help with upcoming build

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Re: help with upcoming build

Post by vlad01 »

Just to give you an idea of the dilemma. Almost as long as the engine lol. There will be a lot of mods just to make an aftermarket t5 work, Not impossible but not idea or cost effective.

However I do recall early 90s Pontiac V6 did come with a T5 and used a shorter setup but yanks are weird with their laid over shifters so the box lays on it's side practically.

IMG_1628.JPG

Here is a link to one you can buy.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/T5-Camaro-F ... 1866126897
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Another one. You can see it's short.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1993-1995-Pont ... 3390601284

Actually you might be in luck with this. Completely forgot about this one. Then you can have hydro clutch and just a modded shifter, cross member and tail shaft.

You'd have to do some research to determine what input length is needed but should be pretty close with this.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Built-vs-t5-ute
cars: vz sv6 6 speed (sold)
Lexus ls400
Ms137 crown

Post by Built-vs-t5-ute »

Would it be possible to use the back half of a GM bellhousing to make the trans straight up again and still be able to use the shorter input shaft?
Built-vs-t5-ute
Lexus ls400
Ms137 crown

I think at this point I've sorta gone to the side of just doing a t56 conversion. There not to bad price wise 2nd hand now around 1500-2k and the malwood parts needed shouldn't be too much more expensive. I'm hoping to try and keep the conversion under 3-3.5k as that's what I would have spend on the built T5. Hopefully the t56 holds up tho. I'd rather not break one lol
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

You won't. They are insanely strong and why I recommend them for a turbo application. Plenty of big hp turbo LS thumping power though them and I have not heard anyone complain about the t56 and related boxes.
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

T56 good to around 700hp a bit less if launching hard at the drags with traction tr6060 is stronger that's why the gearbox builders fit 6060 internals in t56 cases for double the torque holding capacity everything inside is much beefier
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
Built-vs-t5-ute
Lexus ls400
Ms137 crown

Should I look at trying to find a tr6060? I'd like to be able to make more than 700 if the motor permits. The turbo fuel and support stuff definitely will
VK_3800
cars: SS Torana

Post by VK_3800 »

Still not sure where you're getting the 900hp+ from, that page I linked says 600hp for all the top versions including the straight-cut gears. You just won't get any better than that because the trans isn't physically big enough. That level is starting point for the bigger boxes and is likely to be more reliable. Also with prices "starting" at US$2700 I don't see how you'd do the complete T5 conversion for $3500, shipping alone would kill it.
v6bucket

Post by v6bucket »

To make that sort of hp, I would also look at a scatter shield not an alloy bell housing, if the clutch goes bang your feet are in the firing line.
You can add another $1000 when you convert $US to $Au + shipping.
"Definition of a Drag Racer: A person who spends money he doesn't have on parts he doesn't need to impress people he doesn't know." - Grumpy Jenkins----- Poverty---
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

plus import duties...
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...