help with upcoming build

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Re: help with upcoming build

Post by antus »

3 bar (2 bar above atmo, about 30psi boost) is the 11P and 12P limit. If you want to go above that you'll need to use another system, or make the engine flow more air so there is more air getting in reducing the restriction so you see lower boost.

Alternatively you could run the original MAF computer system with "the1's enhanced" code and install a much larger MAF sensor. There was a challenge on here to someone wanting to run mega sky high boost that if they could hit the limit, Charlay86 would modify the code further to handle it. So far, nobody has hit the limit. For that thread see around here: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=2518&start=160#p30876
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Built-vs-t5-ute
cars: vz sv6 6 speed (sold)
Lexus ls400
Ms137 crown

Post by Built-vs-t5-ute »

I think 30 would be fine to start with given the cam and heads are going to be flowing stupid amounts of air. Can you still go back to maf on the same vr ecu if I wanted to try and run more?
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

My opinion, don't get the alloy heads, waste of money as they shit quality and need heavy reworking to fix all the mistakes and out of whack everything and they flow crap out of the box. Just a big heavy cluster fuck of a paper weight

Unfortunately the stock heads aren't that great either due to thin metal, limited ability to port and cracking issues.

As for the T5 you will need a custom input shaft to suit the box as the v6 had a aussie only uniquely long input shaft that is about a foot long. Longest one from the US is about 9-10" They also had a unique spigot. V6 t5 is technically a custom ford mustang box. Ford ratios and internals, ford input spines but custom extension housing, spigot and length of input.

The other option is maybe a custom bell housing and moving the box forward with a custom clutch to suit. The T5 performance built for v6 will be more challenging than the engine. Best option is a t56 conversion as they already exist to some degree.

For a turbo V6 engine, the pre eco are much better, better bottom end, better heads, better intake and just pretty much better everything. But it is not emission legal to install in a VS, not that it matters doing what you are doing. With pre eco there is better parts available as well, Mahle motor sport pistons are perfect and rods like argo already exist for pre eco. cranks are the same as eco so good choices.

Delco is the man for these engine with turbo and would have all you need to know. I'm more NA with both engines but still pick the older v6 as I found they are just a better modders engine.
Last edited by vlad01 on Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Not the same ecu, the vn, vp, vr were all MAP, the vr and vs were either map or maf (not both) depending on the engine, and by vt on they were all maf. Click on the FAQ link (up near the top right) and have a read. The hardware and software guide covers whats what.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

delcowizzid wrote:Yeah fit vn 808 ecu and a good quality 2 or 3 bar map sensor change the coolant sensor to vn with a suitable brass adaptor and fit a vn knock sensor. Also fit the inlet air temp sensor from a vn in the stock vn location in the driver's side intake runner and you are away with ose $12p software for the ecu from on here in the custom code section

I have a new custom harness to suit exactly this I want to get rid of.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Built-vs-t5-ute
Lexus ls400
Ms137 crown

Thanks Vlad great info you've given. Very surprising to here someone who doesn't like the alu heads tho, I haven't come across someone who's said they've been bad. Given I haven't spoken to many people to about it but yeah wasn't really aware that they had many issues. Why are the older Buicks better? I'm going to be porting the head and sending the block to be fully checked over and was even looking at getting darton sleeves put in. As for the T5 yeah I'm aware the Aussie input shaft is sh*t they also use less splines and a thinner one. I'm going with a much shorter and beefier like 26 spline I believe as that's the only one that is rated for 900+ lol. I'll be using a custom flywheel and twin or triple clutch that will make up the gap. As for parts available I haven't really found a stopping point for Ecotec yet. And quite the opy for Buick. I haven't seen any parts for em. Been told everything from heads to cams are different. Plus they have fewer head studs too? Not sure if this is correct tho
Built-vs-t5-ute
Lexus ls400
Ms137 crown

I'm sure mace wouldn't be happy to find out there alloy heads suck lol but if that's the case I'm outta ideas coz stock heads suck too
Built-vs-t5-ute
Lexus ls400
Ms137 crown

Also too with your reference to the t56. Looking into it it's not the best option and certainly not best bang for buck. T56s have an issue above 400 and in order to garentee reliability out of one costs more than it would to get a built T5. The t56 also needs adapter plays trans mounts and a whole order of other parts just to get it going. The T5 bolts straight in to everything and no new parts needed. Not to mention I'm getting 900+ HP rating and sick straight cut gears for less than a t56 conversion
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Those heads aren't mace's, its imported zzp heads.

For a built up T5 to fit a v6 you are looking at anywhere from 6-9k due to the custom parts needed (input shaft) or you can get PPG aussie made gear set that is straight cut. The later is what I am going for in my next built but you need to fork out 6k for the gear set. This is far more expensive than a conversion but I just like the t5 too much and it's a drop in solution for the original v6 t5. Rated for 450hp it is plenty good for my planed NA built of around 380hp. It might not be strong enough for boost though so your options are limited and more expensive if sticking to t5.

I have an entire thread on v6 t5 and my whole investigations into upgrades, parts, cross references, options etc.. If you want one strong behind a v6 you need to pay big $$. No way around it

You might as well get a t56 for 5k ish for a box and full conversion, then it's good for 700-1000hp. With the gear ratios on a t56 it is perfectly matched with 3.9-4.11 which are common and inexpensive. With the t5 the best ratios for such an engine is 3.23-3.45 which is non existent new and has to be salvaged from VK-VL diffs
Built-vs-t5-ute
Lexus ls400
Ms137 crown

Oh aren't the zzp ones any good? There hasn't been any USA guys that complain about em. As for the T5 why would I need to change input shaft? Couldn't I use the 26 spline beefed up one that the box comes with and adapt the V6 to it? Possibly a cheaper way? A stock just t56 I've been told has bad luck with busting shift forks and keyways. So to get a good one would be 55 for a magnum alone. I'm aware it does take big cash to get a strong tranny. Just thought it maybe an easier way and less expensive than a t56 and the headache of conversion