help with upcoming build

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Re: help with upcoming build

Post by vlad01 »

yeah you could.

but...
Not exactly cheap. you will also need an astro T5 main shaft to get a better rating than the 450Hp the PPG gear set has by default. I estimate about 550Hp in conjunction with the main shaft from astro.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PPG-T5-5-Sp ... :rk:9:pf:0
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
VK_3800
cars: SS Torana

Post by VK_3800 »

vlad01 wrote:TKOs are shit, bad syncro design and can't shift over 6k rpm.
A popular Internet rumour that the 2-3 shift is no good, basically due to people trying to muscle the shifter into the wrong position. Mine shifts just fine at over 6000 behind a healthy V8 and is a nice update from the Muncie it replaced.

They do use a more traditional brass synchro but its not a bad design and you have to bear in mind that there are larger and heavier rotating components to synchronise. T5s (and T56s) have friction lined cones which are designed for maximum refinement in OEM vehicles, if this is your thing and you have more engine than the T5 can handle, go T56.

The worst thing I would say about the TKO is the top loader construction makes them bulky to fit in small tunnels, they aren't overly tall but quite flat and wide which actually makes it difficult to find space without significant tunnel surgery. A T56 is a little taller but rounder and generally easier to make room for.
vlad01 wrote:The astro T5 are stronger over the TKO.
Improved gear material is not everything, smaller gears, bearings, shafts and housings will never add up to stronger. You can't fight physics and you won't make a T5 live behind a big horsepower big block (that gets driven) no matter what you do. A TKO will.
vlad01 wrote:Astro do a 650Hp unit now.
What does they equate that to as a torque capability though? Can't imagine it would be 600ft-lb, and I'd be surprised if the rating is for any parts other than the gears themselves.

Not trying to bash your T5 love, they're a good box but they're a bit small when you start talking about these higher levels of output, there's only so much you can do with it. I'd rather have something that feels a little heavier than have to keep replacing it.
Built-vs-t5-ute
cars: vz sv6 6 speed (sold)
Lexus ls400
Ms137 crown

Post by Built-vs-t5-ute »

Yeah very true with expense haha. And don't apologize VK I'm very aware of the t5s weaknesses and was just hoping to get most strength for my dollar and was just seeing if it was worth it. For 6k+ you'd expect a lot more that 450hp rating. Yeah I guess at this point I may just be better off spending that money doing a t56 or tr6060 witch ever is stronger/easier.
VK_3800
cars: SS Torana

Post by VK_3800 »

Built-vs-t5-ute wrote:And don't apologize VK
Just trying not to upset Vlad, he likes his T5 and will defend it to the death :-)
Built-vs-t5-ute wrote:For 6k+ you'd expect a lot more that 450hp rating.
I think they're doing well to achieve that, but if you don't have such specific requirements then you can definitely get better bang for buck. I'm sure these suppliers would be the first ones to talk you out of buying these upgrades if you can just as easily go a different way, they'd be just as happy selling you a different box.
Built-vs-t5-ute wrote:Yeah I guess at this point I may just be better off spending that money doing a t56 or tr6060 witch ever is stronger/easier.
When I say "T56" I sort-of mean T56/TR6060/T56 Magnum, they're all the same family but different variations and evolutions. Unless you have very demanding torque requirements then it won't bother you which you end up with, factory fitted TR6060 is the most common second hand at present but things like gear ratios, shifters and output yokes are things you want to look at.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

600ft-lb. Usually the rating is for a 3000lb car they take the rating at. More at less weights and less rating at heavier weights is the general rule.

Astro are well proven gears. Pic is compared to geforce (smaller gears)

gears.PNG
gears.PNG (685.61 KiB) Viewed 2930 times

Stock 2nd gear

s-l300.jpg
s-l300.jpg (11.3 KiB) Viewed 2929 times
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Found a pic an A-T5 vs stock. yep! :lol:

at5vsstock.PNG
at5vsstock.PNG (283.03 KiB) Viewed 2928 times
Built-vs-t5-ute
Lexus ls400
Ms137 crown

Haha well there not terrible transmissions just not very strong. I was told there was a torque difference between the tr and t56 and that they also have different shift forks and updated keyways as they were the weak link in the t56. Correct me if I'm wrong just what I had read else where. What would be best for strength and most compatible?
Built-vs-t5-ute
Lexus ls400
Ms137 crown

I have seen the old V6 3.8s make over 1000lbs of torque so I'm just trying to get the strongest trans I can without going crazy haha
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Well in that case the T5 is not the answer, tr6060 is your best and pretty much only bet. 1000 ft-lb can def be had from a wild v6, more so if you are into the GNX old school v6s since their heads are better and have more aftermarket choice for performance heads.

if money wasn't your limit i'd go for the bucik motor sport block and heads. Then the LS style trans bolts straight up and then you can aim for 2000hp instead :lol: since 1000 is child's play with those block/head combos.
Built-vs-t5-ute
Lexus ls400
Ms137 crown

Gnx run the Buick 3.8 don't they? There are a lot of differences but I'll be going with heavily modified alloy heads and ls springs so I don't see there being a big advantage. The blocks are almost the same bore thickness wise in fact I think ecosystem test harder than the Buick blocks. I doubt you'd be able to achieve 2000hp on a Buick V6 I've only ever seen slight over 1000 on stock block. You can sleeve them with mid sleeves if you wanna go that far.